Koi at Petsmart?

Reaction score
Just trying to get my point across to you. Its not the digging the pond will kill you, but when you go to pick up that 2lb hammer, and your on the ground, think "i should have listened to that dumb conversation that got off topic."

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Ouch.

When I did my back in I also screw up both knees. I was stuck in bed for about six weeks. With the meds I was taking I did not pay much attention to my back (or anything). It was only after I could get up to use the bathroom that I found out the back was hosed. But fortunately I did not have nerve damage like you. PT and medical massage has helped a lot. Also a tens machine and a chi machine. A big part of healing is getting the muscles to loosen up enough so as to not put pressure on the bones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Had eight Knee operations which even after the removal of both knee caps has left me in constant pain developed fibromyagia around about three years ago ( man I wouldn't wish it opon anyone doped up to the Gills with Morphine and other tablets everyday but have fought long and hard against all this even doing a pain management program .
Gone are my days of cycling, surf canoeing, walking, swimming, so I replaced the competetive edge showing koi at shows there is nothing better than the buzz you get when you win .
I pop more pills each year that goes by "now up to 29 tablets daily", however I manage to care for my Wife who has Facioscapularhumeral MD (FSH MD for short) and is rapidly getting worse herself even though her back operation worked she still gets the odd twinge everynow and again.
What doesnt help us is the attack by the British Government on those with disabilties in all our eyes we think that they have lost their moral compasses, yet appluad them for trying to stop abuse of the system which they caused by massaging the unemployment figures a number of years ago, shifting fit people on to the sick.
Laughter is the best way forwards for many .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
mariobrothersleeve said:
Me too, 6' 3" 220 and a Marine. The flexeril is great for a muscle relaxer hydrocodine is not bad for the head buzz. I dont wish predizone on anybody....... If you burp, you can taste it and the endless nights of not sleeping to wake up to a 3 yr old with energy! Thanks for the concern and tell him to get checked out. I walked out of surgery that day and knew everything was good.
He refuses pain meds, just wont take them. Son takes prednisone a couple times a year (severely allergic to poison ivy) and calls them "instant a-hole pills". I forget the #discs that are effected, but two up from where jeans ride, three discs .. forget the word the doctor used, but the discs are compressing together. Chiropractor gave him some stretching exercises to do, and we also have an inverter that helps.

Reaction score
HTH said:
They say some ruptured disks will heal themselves but it takes like 5 years and you have to stop abusing them. I expect capwind's hubby knows this. Until he can stop there is not really much to be done with or without surgery, at least that is how I understand it.
This IS why he wont go back to the doctors. To make his situation worse, he is a machine operator. The machine bouncing doesnt seem like much to those who dont do it all the time, but 20,000 hours or so of it destroys your back. I really have no clue how many hours he really has in, just adding the hours on the skid steer we have owned, and not even addressing the hours in rented machines, or as a sub in a backhoe digging foundation holes.

HTH said:
Ruptured several disks in my lower back a few years ago. The key to healing them is the right sort of activity, thing that work the spine walking, horse back riding, or jumping on a mini trap. Thinking bouncing around on my tractor is sort of like that (may be kidding myself)
I have a hard time visualizing horse back riding being a help, but then again, I rode English (hunters/dressage) and the first gait that comes to mind is the trot LOL. Maybe a walk or easy lope/canter would be helpful ... the tractor, I think you are kidding yourself.

Reaction score
Yes, we really are off topic, but in a round about way, think it may cause some to think a bit more as they dig. No matter how young one is, or thinks they still are, we need to remember digging is hard on the body, and pace oneself doing it.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Capwind you may be right but then again maybe just maybe it is a matter of moderation which you hubby does not get. I then to try to take it easy but there are always a few jolts that I would be better off without.

I am sure we will be back on track the next time jason posts esp with pictures :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, quick question that I can't figure out :banghead3: Bio Filter, Does it have to be pressurized or not? Does it have to be covered from the sun (filter Media)? Is Lava Rock a good cheap Bio Media? Can it float or fully submerged? Is there a "Rule of thumb" for how much Bio Filter per Gallons? I have Two 500 GPH pumps that feed the water falls/fountain Under a 10'' Plant Basket with holes with a Granite slab under and On top (to hold it down and keep large-medium debris from clogging) because those two particular pumps are Cheap "SunSun" Pumps that I bought on E-bay for $15 each :banana: and they don't have a pre-filter but the "Vented Cap" on the front of it that "Controls Flow" when you turn the dial, Now, If I were to turn the Plant Basket up-right and then put the pumps in the bottom and fill it with Lava Rock to act as a prefilter, would any Beneficial Bacteria Grow in the basket with the Lava Rock? Guess that's a start? Thanks :biggrin:

Reaction score
In a biofilter it is my opinion that what you want to use is an object with lots of surface area for bacteria to grow on and everything else comes second. Lava rock is ok if the rocks are placed after a mechanical filter. Otherwise you may find the holes in the rock fill with debris and slime, deducting their effectiveness. You could go covered or uncovered but I find being uncovered helps, as the UV rays from the Sun can do some clarifying. Underwater or not does not seem tobe a huge concern as long as the water is constantly flowing. Keep in mind gyou do not want the flow to be too fast. You want the water in contact with the bacteria for as long as possible. That is why a trickle tower is a popular biofilter.

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
In a biofilter it is my opinion that what you want to use is an object with lots of surface area for bacteria to grow on and everything else comes second. Lava rock is ok if the rocks are placed after a mechanical filter. Otherwise you may find the holes in the rock fill with debris and slime, reducing their effectiveness. You could go covered or uncovered but I find being uncovered helps, as the UV rays from the Sun can do some clarifying. Underwater or not does not seem tobe a huge concern as long as the water is constantly flowing. Keep in mind gyou do not want the flow to be too fast. You want the water in contact with the bacteria for as long as possible. That is why a trickle tower is a popular biofilter. I think non pressureized would be better, as pressorry.ed tends to speed up flow. Double post sorry

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
The first few answers are within the quote.
Jason said:
Ok, quick question that I can't figure out :banghead3: Bio Filter, Does it have to be pressurized or not? Does it have to be covered from the sun (filter Media)?

Answer: Many of us prefer gravity feed filters over pressurized. You get more flow with the same pump. No it does not have to be covered some people float plants like water hyacinths on top the filter.

Is Lava Rock a good cheap Bio Media? Can it float or fully submerged? Is there a "Rule of thumb" for how much Bio Filter per Gallons? I have Two 500 GPH pumps that feed the water falls/fountain Under a 10'' Plant Basket with holes with a Granite slab under and On top (to hold it down and keep

Answer: It is cheap and works. It sinks, and can be fully submerged but I prefer to use it in a trickle setup. Cleaned a few barrel filters full of lave rock and that cured me of doing that. There is a design where the lava rocks go into soda crates which can be unstacked to clean. You never have to touch the rocks to clean them. Made one yesterday and posted the video twice... so if you are reading othere threads (and you should be) you seen it.

large-medium debris from clogging) because those two particular pumps are Cheap "SunSun" Pumps that I bought on E-bay for $15 each :banana: and they don't have a pre-filter but the "Vented Cap" on the front of it that "Controls Flow" when you turn the dial, Now, If I were to turn the Plant Basket up-right and then put the pumps in the bottom and fill it with Lava Rock to act as a prefilter, would any Beneficial Bacteria Grow in the basket with the Lava Rock? Guess that's a start? Thanks :biggrin:
\Answer: The same video shows a prefilter/screen made from plastic canvas. It is something anyone can make. There are other routes you can go too. The lava rock needs clean water and should come after some sort of mechanical filtration.

The biobugs are aerobic creatures. If there is not enough oxygen present for them they will not preform. This is one reason that a trickle type filter is often the better choice. Not saying you have to go that route but if you are using lava rock it sure is easy.

Just shot a another minute of video. The wind today reminded me that I used to push a fiber mat down into the drip tray to hold the quilt batting in place. I was getting better distribution of the water without the batting just need to swap in a bigger pump. The unit has been running about 5 hours with the batting and the water is already noticeably clearer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
dieselplower said:
In a biofilter it is my opinion that what you want to use is an object with lots of surface area for bacteria to grow on and everything else comes second. Lava rock is ok if the rocks are placed after a mechanical filter. Otherwise you may find the holes in the rock fill with debris and slime, deducting their effectiveness. You could go covered or uncovered but I find being uncovered helps, as the UV rays from the Sun can do some clarifying. Underwater or not does not seem tobe a huge concern as long as the water is constantly flowing. Keep in mind gyou do not want the flow to be too fast. You want the water in contact with the bacteria for as long as possible. That is why a trickle tower is a popular biofilter.
I did not think about that... worth a try I guess. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
HTH said:
The first few answers are within the quote.

\Answer: The same video shows a prefilter/screen made from plastic canvas. It is something anyone can make. There are other routes you can go too. The lava rock needs clean water and should come after some sort of mechanical filtration.
Where is your video, not in your feed, post, or topics what thread?

Ask a Question