Koi at Petsmart?

Reaction score
Can see the difference:) Do you have any slap together surface skimmers? I wont let hubby put a real skimmer on the pond (he cant convince me fish wont get caught in it) Want something that can be put into the lower pond, but taken out when not in use ... have disturbed crap floating on the surface of the lower pond, from the upper pond ... My present choices are to use a fine net to skim it off by hand, or wait for it to settle, so the main pump can grab it ... Hubby doesnt have the time to make anything, and half joking told me to spend the $90 to order one of those cheap floating skimmers meant for small ponds ... trying to figure out something that *I* can handle making QUICKLY, using something like a powerhead pump (stolen idea from your filter above LOL) ... any ideas?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a wide mouth hayward pool skimmer (18 inch opening), drawing pretty strong (two inch pvc t'd into the pump). Never have had a fish in it. A frog now and then, no fish. It is an exterior skimmer, cut into the liner, exterior pump.

Reaction score
this is a quick one. 4-1 reducer, 1 90, 1 1" thread to 1in pipe. I cut small slits(hard to tell with algae) incase water is low. Works great, in the background I a silver maple that drops a bazillion helicopters and this small contraption didn't let 1 reach the bottom. hopes it helps!

Attachments

• IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 284
Reaction score
addy1 said:
I have a wide mouth hayward pool skimmer (18 inch opening), drawing pretty strong (two inch pvc t'd into the pump). Never have had a fish in it. A frog now and then, no fish. It is an exterior skimmer, cut into the liner, exterior pump.
Thanks Addy, hubby keeps telling me the fish wont get in there, but I am dead set against him putting a real skimmer on the pond ... this will sound lame, but even if normal sized fish wont get sucked in, I cant live with fry getting in there either ... less cruel that they get eaten LOL. I want something that I can drop into the pond here and there, and put elsewhere when not needed.

Reaction score
mariobrothersleeve said:
this is a quick one. 4-1 reducer, 1 90, 1 1" thread to 1in pipe. I cut small slits(hard to tell with algae) incase water is low. Works great, in the background I a silver maple that drops a bazillion helicopters and this small contraption didn't let 1 reach the bottom. hopes it helps!
Thanks Mario ... this has to float, this one looks like you set the pump on the floor of the pond ... I only have one spot in our pond where the floor is level, and it's 5' deep there. BUT I am getting an idea from yours ... wont be pretty, but thinking it will do the job ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I see what you mean Howard, Do you not run a UV (green water)? And I guess I can come up with a more attractive Trickle Tower like a large strawberry pot or something and Run the PVC through the middle? Cool Mario Bros, I don't think I could make a little skimmer like that since my pond is so small and my water level fluctuates to much :(

Reaction score
Shalom - bought 3 koi at Petsmart 14 years ago, 1 died no idea why after about 4 years, 2nd died a year or so later from infected swim bladder that I didn't ret until too late - 3rd is now about 27" long and extremely broad

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got my koi from Walmart. They look awesome. I didn't know they were gonna make it in the cold, and every morning when I wake up, I go check at em on my backyard pond, and they still healthy and alive... Im loving them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I got my koi from Walmart. They look awesome. I didn't know they were gonna make it in the cold, and every morning when I wake up, I go check at em on my backyard pond, and they still healthy and alive... Im loving them
Tell me that in 29 years time [30yrs this year Kundra] and they can propperly looked after reach the age of 80+ years.
Our oldest will be 30 this year :happy: now that is love for you my friend (y).

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow Dave, that's awesome... I can't wait to see mine be one year old... Im forcing them to live in the cold on my backyard pond. Hopefully they survive much longer, as many winters as possible

Ask a Question