Koi at Petsmart?

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
My friends and I can shovel about around 4 cubic yards of mulch an hour all day every day. That's a huge roofing dumpster full in 5 hours. Sure dirt is heavier but I feel sorry for the person who can't do it.....
Thanks for the chuckles DP ... Here;s a picture of 8 yards of mulch for anyone wanting a visual... Two guys humping wheel barrows, would take about 4 to properly spread this, but I will bet you those same two guys are NOT going to take 8 yards of dirt out of a hole and hump it back into a truck in that same amount of time. I give you credit for your ambition, and but think you exagerate just a tad bit. Mulch, even wet, is a hell of a lot easier to handle than shovel loads of dirt, in easy digging conditions. I'll accept your pity, as I know I sure as heck couldnt do it. I'm only 128 lbs soaking wet, with two blown shoulders and I still ENJOY spreading mulch ... Dirt, hahaha, for that, I need the mechanical wheelbarrow (277 cat). I learned my lesson last year trying to dig out a bed for dahlia's (it was comical to say the least). I wont knock anyone for digging ANY pond themself, but the bigger the pond, the more I pity their back.

Attachments

• mulch.jpg
    mulch.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 243
Reaction score
capewind said:
Thanks for the chuckles DP ... Here;s a picture of 8 yards of mulch for anyone wanting a visual... Two guys humping wheel barrows, would take about 4 to properly spread this, but I will bet you those same two guys are NOT going to take 8 yards of dirt out of a hole and hump it back into a truck in that same amount of time. I give you credit for your ambitisn't a need to and but think you exagerate just a tad bit. Mulch, even wet, is a hell of a lot easier to handle than shovel loads of dirt, in easy digging conditions. I'll accept your pity, as I know I sure as heck couldnt do it. I'm only 128 lbs soaking wet, with two blown shoulders and I still ENJOY spreading mulch ... Dirt, hahaha, for that, I need the mechanical wheelbarrow (277 cat). I learned my lesson last year trying to dig out a bed for dahlia's (it was comical to say the least). I wont knock anyone for digging ANY pond themself, but the bigger the pond, the more I pity their back.
8 yards of mulch, spread into landscaping perfectly, is 4 hours tops for just me. 2 hours with a friend. Thats one guy shoveling and dumping and the other spreading. 2 of us did 18 yards the other day in under 5 hours and that included a trip to Burger King. I do own a landscaping company so I do know a little about it. often times dirt from a pond is reused throughout the landscaping and there isnt a need to haul much away.

Reaction score
I hand dug my first pond b/c i didnt want to tare up the lawn( 12x8x4). The amount of tracks from the wheel barrel and 5 days by myself was bad. This hole was all of 3+ yards.... Looks bigger once piled. Fyi, the second pond i used a mini for it and a shit box trailer. It was amazing, less lawn tare up and alot less work. Good luck my friend, take some pictures with a smile for me!

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
8 yards of mulch, spread into landscaping perfectly, is 4 hours tops for just me. 2 hours with a friend. Thats one guy shoveling and dumping and the other spreading. 2 of us did 18 yards the other day in under 5 hours and that included a trip to Burger King. I do own a landscaping company so I do know a little about it.
Damn, too bad you live so far away and already employeed. I'd offer you a job. Would pay you well to spread mulch, and even more if you can dig as fast;-)

Reaction score
capewind said:
Damn, too bad you live so far away and already employeed. I'd offer you a job. Would pay you well to spread mulch, and even more if you can dig as fast;-)
We charge $50 per yard of mulch installed so the faster we work the better it works out for us! You are surely right though that digging a hole would take much longer. But I'm still saying I could dig the hole in a day lol.

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
We charge $50 per yard of mulch installed so the faster we work the better it works out for us! You are surely right though that digging a hole would take much longer. But I'm still saying I could dig the hole in a day lol.
Your rates are close to ours ... we charge, including the mulch, $80 yd for eco mulch (stump mulch) and $100 yd for premium.

I dont know how old you are, but if you are still young, go easy on your back. Work smarter, not harder, or you will pay for it later. Dig the hole by hand if you have the ambition, but go easy. Other than a 4 year "break" as a chemical engineer, hubby has been in the trade (mostly the hardscape, excavation and tree areas) since he was a kid, and been in business for 23 years on the books, His back is garbage now, but still insists on doing things he shouldnt.

Reaction score
Wow I wish we had prices like that in MI! I think working hard keeps me young but you may be right.... I may suffer in the future. I'm 34 years old and play on 3 soccer teams right now. I'm the oldest on any of the teams and can keep up with 95% of the people in our leagues. Just blessed I think :)

Reaction score
Ohh gawd you sound like hubby ... we have a 10 years on you in age, and all I am going to say is GO EASY ON YOUR BACK. (Bold print DOES mean I am shouting at you LOL)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
and your knees

I was blessed (or cursed) with a large frame. For years if I wanted something moved I just picked it up. Still want too but it is a bad idea. My little tractor with a front end loader is my best friend.

Reaction score
Hubby has that issue too ... 6' 230 lbs ... thinks he is invincible ... he has knee issues too, but not as bad as the back issues .. knees are only bothering him because part of the job he is on now includes a 12x24 patio and walkway ... finished those today, still has to do a new driveway ... excavation and large drywell done ... still has to do a cobblestone border, and apron, set in concrete ... as soon as that's done, I think the schedule is nothing but tree work for the next couple of weeks, which will have our climber complaining about his knees LOL.

Mario, so sorry to hear about the ruptured disc. Hubby refuses to go to a doctor, afraid of what they are going to tell him ... if the chiropractor cant handle it, he just deals with the pain. He wont take pain meds, and has to be really rough to take the flexerils .... Hope you are up and about SOON!!!

Reaction score
Me too, 6' 3" 220 and a Marine. The flexeril is great for a muscle relaxer hydrocodine is not bad for the head buzz. I dont wish predizone on anybody....... If you burp, you can taste it and the endless nights of not sleeping to wake up to a 3 yr old with energy! Thanks for the concern and tell him to get checked out. I walked out of surgery that day and knew everything was good.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
They say some ruptured disks will heal themselves but it takes like 5 years and you have to stop abusing them. I expect capwind's hubby knows this. Until he can stop there is not really much to be done with or without surgery, at least that is how I understand it.

Ruptured several disks in my lower back a few years ago. The key to healing them is the right sort of activity, thing that work the spine walking, horse back riding, or jumping on a mini trap. Thinking bouncing around on my tractor is sort of like that (may be kidding myself)

Reaction score
HTH said:
They say some ruptured disks will heal themselves but it takes like 5 years and you have to stop abusing them. I expect capwind's hubby knows this. Until he can stop there is not really much to be done with or without surgery, at least that is how I understand it.

Ruptured several disks in my lower back a few years ago. The key to healing them is the right sort of activity, thing that work the spine walking, horse back riding, or jumping on a mini trap. Thinking bouncing around on my tractor is sort of like that (may be kidding myself)
I loss the feeling in my feet and ankles. I couldnt lift the toilet seat up or get dressed by myself. I feel out of my truck and had to call my neighbor to help me off the cement floor. It just doesnt go away when it effects your nerves. Ill save some of the more interesting things for a different day!

Ask a Question