Koi baby color change update

Reaction score
Larkin, this is exactly why I placed some of my bigger fish this year. I dont care about having show quality, but like variety. Really didnt do myself any favors, as I kept nearly half the fish that were in the 600 (didnt want to make the time for people to come out), which means we added about 40 more to the main pond (over half were comets and shubunkins), plus a few more that were born out there that we didnt catch in time (when tiny and easy to catch). With allowing for a bit more growth, we'll make it til next spring without pushing the limits of what the pond can handle, but more need to go. My focus is on letting fish grow out a bit more, and then get rid of my "twins" ... I think everything that I have left that is over 14" is staying for good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like my mix of pond mutts. No koi, so lots of water room for more to survive.

fish5 (2).jpg

Reaction score
speaking of koi changing color. I thought someone had stolen one of my koi because for about three weeks i was having pump issues and lost control of the algae. The algae had my pond pea green for over three weeks and i was unable to see my koi. One of my koi have turned from white and black to amount completely orange. This had me confused for about a week, then i realized that he or she had change colors. Could this be because of the chemisty the water changing or did someone really steal my fish?

Reaction score
I have had a lot of fun watching how some can change colors. Some you can spot early on, and know they will change, and others do some weird things.

The link didnt work:-(

Ask a Question