Koi Care While onVacation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm going to be on vacation for two weeks next month. I'm hoping to hire a neighborhood friend's son to come feed my 6 koi. Typically I feed then a handful of food twice a day. However, they also seem to chow down on natural food in the pond every day. So the question is; would it be OK to ask the boy to only come once a day? If so, should he give them two handfuls at that time, or only one? TIA

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Does he know what to do in case pump or filter problems .Best is to have a security camera that you can access remotely

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would walk him/her over the pond what to clean what to look for etc and when to call for emergencies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for those answers guys. I'm planning to shut the pump and falls off, just use an aerator. The fish survive the winter well that way, so I'm pretty sure they'll be OK and that way I don't have to worry about water levels either.

Any thoughts on feeding only once a day? Do you think that will be OK?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
so you are going this winter .Since you live south of me it would depend on the weather during that time .I know this past winter we were hit with frigid weather early and a snow storm early .I live 15 minutes from the NC border and an hour away from Greensboro NC

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
They should be fine being fed once a day or even every other day. I don’t even feed my fish that much, when I am around.

In the past when I have gone on vacation the pond has pretty much taken care of itself, my 220 gal saltwater tank is a different story.

Unless you meter out the amount of food, I would be more concerned with over feeding, depending on the size of your pond.

I have seen/heard of disasters when an aquarist goes on vacation and has someone take care of feeding the fish in aquariums. Always because the caretaker feeds to much and the uneaten/decaying food overwhelms the biological filter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would make sure you have fall food and get a pond thermometer so he can check the temp of the pond water .My winter does not start until late December and pond water can stay around 65 degrees until then .But this last winter was a big shock as we got down in temperatures early .

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@sissy I think he is going away next month.

He is just relating shutting down the pumps and just running the aerator like he does in the winter time.

Personally, I would leave the pumps running especially if you have someone checking the pond everyday. Demand for oxygen is higher during warmer months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If I'm reading this correctly, the OP is going out of town soon and is planning on shutting down his pumps and filters, because the fish do fine over the winter. Well, it's not winter......I think it's a big risk to shut off the pumps and filters.

Feeding lightly once a day is fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
have seen/heard of disasters when an aquarist goes on vacation and has someone take care of feeding the fish in aquariums. Always because the caretaker feeds to much and the uneaten/decaying food overwhelms the biological filter.

I extremely doubt the fish would have any issue if they were not fed for two weeks.

I second that the biggest worry is who takes care of the fish. I plan on putting a camera out on the pond so when I am not around I can see that the pump and pond is ok.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I'm reading this correctly, the OP is going out of town soon and is planning on shutting down his pumps and filters, because the fish do fine over the winter. Well, it's not winter......I think it's a big risk to shut off the pumps and filters.

Feeding lightly once a day is fine.

I would be willing to bet especially if you have a normal to heavy fish load your o2 levels will drop to very dangerous levels in the bio filter you will be starting all over again .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i'd leave the pumps on. will help filter especially over feed and as others said will add much needed o2.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I do agree shutting pumps down and feeding them is a bad idea as ammonia will spike .I know soon with the weather the way it is pond water temps. will rise fast and that will cause 1 big problem with a pond .My fish do fine with 2 or 3 feedings a week but the pump an filter are needed more during the rise in temperatures and then you add in spawning ,not good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Thanks for those answers guys. I'm planning to shut the pump and falls off, just use an aerator. The fish survive the winter well that way, so I'm pretty sure they'll be OK and that way I don't have to worry about water levels either.

Any thoughts on feeding only once a day? Do you think that will be OK?

WATER QUALITY WATER QUALITY
DO NOT shut down your filtration. In the winter based on your location the koi are either not being feed or very little depending on your water temps. NOW they are fed by you or what's available in the pond. That means WASTE products and the need for filtration, mechanical and biological. IF you shut down your filtration your water quality will suffer . That will lead to all kinds of issues such as algae and disease .

For feeding I will relate this to my Discus fish.They are large tropical fish 6+inches in diameter. Several times I've gone on vacation for 7-10 days and do not feed them . They survived without issue. What is most important while you are away is the WATER QUALITY.

Not sure what your filtration maintenance schedule is but if you clean mechanical filters this may suffer from feeding while you are away.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fish never need to be fed every day .There is always plenty to eat .I have taken out ponds that have been abandoned for years and the fish were still alive .Amazed me but proves that fish can survive with out us feeding them .

Ask a Question