Koi color change or a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hope someone can offer some advice. I noticed yesterday evening my fish had some dark red on his dorsal Fin, and also his tail fin near where it meets the body. Not sure if this is a color change or something to be worried about. Water test shows no ammonia or nitrates. P.H between 6.50 and 7. Fish is yellow and this new color is red. This is the best picture I could get today. This happened suddenly as I did not see this change two days ago.

Attachments

• 20180722_132552~2.jpg
    20180722_132552~2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 486
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
almost looks like an ulser on the structure of the fin i had similar issues from what i attributed to stress and the duck. i added a lot of start right to the pond. do you use city water and a declorenater?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
almost looks like an ulser on the structure of the fin i had similar issues from what i attributed to stress and the duck. i added a lot of start right to the pond. do you use city water and a declorenater?
Yes to both questions. Just checked on him, it's been light raining on and off, which seems to excite them a lot, so it's hard to get a better look. I do know it came suddenly, as he is so yellow with no other colors so I know I would have seen it. Unsure of what to do next. I drove to a non brand pet store that sells fish after posting here, but the person wanting to give advice had tanks full of sick fish also. So I left.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
stress coat start right etc are mainly for decloranating your water and detoxifying the water. but they have another benefit to promote the slime coat of fish. what a lot of people don't realize is that a health tank /pond and fish can live harmoniously with parasites. if your fish are healthy the slime coat acts as a suit of armor and repel the parasites. I swear by the stuff. if you look close at my video of the fish under water theres a white koi with a red band across his head and if you look close theres a indentation on his left side i believe. it was what i believe to be an ulser when the pond was just starting up and after adding 64 ounces for 12,000 gallons and a booster dose a week later the ulcer had all but completely healed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is good that you noticed and noticed early. There are four possibilities. Natural color change, color change due to a stressor, a wound generated by a parasite, and a mechanical wound. The analysis depends on the location, condition of scales and or fukurin, and the configuration of the color change. Red stripes between the fin ribs indicate two origins, red lines between the scales are another. Color change on the sides can be different than ventral or dorsal locations. Swelling and changes in scales is another. Swelling and discoloration in the tail roof is specific.

If you could share these types of detail this website can be more helpful.

With that the one piece you have shared is pH below 7.0. Not a good number and requires elevation. Below 7 indicates an acid condition. Koi blood is at about. 7.2, and an isotonic water condition is always better for respiration and as a cushion against a crash to below 6.5.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have pond prime here now. What do you think I should get to be on the safe side. I hate the not knowing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is good that you noticed and noticed early. There are four possibilities. Natural color change, color change due to a stressor, a wound generated by a parasite, and a mechanical wound. The analysis depends on the location, condition of scales and or fukurin, and the configuration of the color change. Red stripes between the fin ribs indicate two origins, red lines between the scales are another. Color change on the sides can be different than ventral or dorsal locations. Swelling and changes in scales is another. Swelling and discoloration in the tail roof is specific.

If you could share these types of detail this website can be more helpful.

With that the one piece you have shared is pH below 7.0. Not a good number and requires elevation. Below 7 indicates an acid condition. Koi blood is at about. 7.2, and an isotonic water condition is always better for respiration and as a cushion against a crash to below 6.5.
Here is P.H now has not changed since morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
7.0 is neutral and not the problem. I’ve never seen 6.8 acidic water cause a color spot.
The ph is a little higher than am. Just looked at prior photo from am. I will keep an eye on him, if anything looks off I will attempt to isolate him. Should I be concerned about PH.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Quick fluctuations in ph is worse then a high or low number

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Quick fluctuations in ph is worse then a high or low number
Thanks, I am worried about it dropping further. The rain is maybe playing a role in the PH. It does not help that is is raining again today. I will test rain PH today.

Ask a Question