sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your pond must be larger than 20 gallons then because koi have a real problem with heat because they need tons of oxygen to live and they deplete the oxygen fast in water

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, OK I'm blind as a bat. I have re-read this entire thread four times trying to figure up where the 20 gallon pond came up. Typed a message and went back to see something and finally saw it. Please tell us this is s typo! 20 gallons?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze says it by current pond description ok fishin now we really know you need glasses

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm going to lend you reading glasses I'm thinking you need them worse than me fishin lmao

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, That's the bad part, had my glasses on, Think it's showing my age and beauty! LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you sure you had your glasses .I was looking at you reread entire thread and wondered why you reread it since it is right by the description of his pond size lol I'm thinking it was a typo can't be just 20 gallons

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Tiny print I guess? lol Just flat kept over looking. and yes I hope 20 gallon typo, My friend is trying to keep 2-2" inch koi in a 20 gallon aquarium, but these were two we found when we broke his old pond down, He's just keeping them there until he can get his pond rebuilt.

Reaction score
LOL. I'm not really sure if it is 20 gallons. I didn't actually measured but I do know the size of the pond. I'm a total newbie at this. My pond is about 13-15 inches deep and about 1.5 feet wide and and with a length of 6 feet. It's surrounding a virigin mary so it's a not a perfect rectangle and at the bottom it's like a waterfall. I didn't really intend to take care of koi fish. But a friend of ours put 3 koi fish there. Sadly 1 died. I enjoyed feeding and watching them and that's how I got started. They were always hiding at the edge where there is a rock where they can hide. So I added 3 more koi fish and 1 janitor fish because the pool needs someone to clean the koi fish wastes. :p

After adding those fishes they seem to came out and was calm. They were no longer afraid of coming out. The next morning my biggest koi fish died. It was about 12 inches and seem to have lost it's scales. :(.

I blame it on the janitor fish and removed the fish but I notice they were all afraid again back to hiding the rock. I never really found out the reason why it died. A week later I've added 2 small koi fish about 2 inches and 2 3 inches koi fish but they were still scared and a few days later came the neighbors kids which started this thread.

I just look all around the city and I couldn't find a single chagoi fish. I'm desperate and trying to see if I can buy online here in the Philippines. I want them to be calm and friendly just like videos I saw in youtube. Just like sissy's koi fish. :confused:

Reaction score
Your pond is about 80 gallon. Thats not (nearly) enough to keep one adult Koi alive, let alone 4. It would also require a filter thats almost as big as your pond, and which I assume you dont have. Since you think adding a fish somehow filters water, it sounds like you dont have one at all, thats simply not going to work. Give your remaining Koi to someone with a larger pond and proper filter, and put some goldfish in there.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
well unless your going to use a filter i dont even think you should add goldfish ..and agree with vertigo find a new home for those koi .... sorry but that pond is just way to small :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gold fish are tough, but it would be better for them to have water movement and some filtration.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pond has 2 filters and sometimes I'm not sure there big enough and 2 waterfalls I am just getting done with the second water .My water is clear and in over 6 years have not had 1 koi die so I must be doing something right.keeping fingers crossed

Reaction score
stroppy said:
well unless your going to use a filter i dont even think you should add goldfish ..

Dont know much about goldfish, but since people can keep them in bowl, I suspect they will do okay assuming water is changed once in a while and/or you add a small fountain or something. At least in 80 gallon you can keep goldfish, keeping Koi in there is like trying to keep a whale in your swimming pool. It wont work.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh no does this mean I have to turn Free Willy loose

orcas6.gif

Ask a Question