Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
afraid so jw and not sure what kind of free willy you have lmao

Reaction score
vertigo72 said:
Your pond is about 80 gallon. Thats not (nearly) enough to keep one adult Koi alive, let alone 4. It would also require a filter thats almost as big as your pond, and which I assume you dont have. Since you think adding a fish somehow filters water, it sounds like you dont have one at all, thats simply not going to work. Give your remaining Koi to someone with a larger pond and proper filter, and put some goldfish in there.

stroppy said:
well unless your going to use a filter i dont even think you should add goldfish ..and agree with vertigo find a new home for those koi .... sorry but that pond is just way to small :(

I'm planning to expand the pool by weekend and I plan to make it deeper. I'm also planning to buy a filter. There are so many things I didn't know before I joined this forum but I'm glad I learned a lot.

addy1 said:
Gold fish are tough, but it would be better for them to have water movement and some filtration.

Will adding goldfish make the other koi fish calm? I'm still looking for chagoi fish. If anyone wants to sell me. Let me know.:lol:

vertigo72 said:
Dont know much about goldfish, but since people can keep them in bowl, I suspect they will do okay assuming water is changed once in a while and/or you add a small fountain or something. At least in 80 gallon you can keep goldfish, keeping Koi in there is like trying to keep a whale in your swimming pool. It wont work.

Whale is just too big for my pool.:lol:. There will be no free willy. I'm starting to hear the Michael Jackson song by just saying that.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
great! glad the people here could help you.

Reaction score
MikeBuyco said:
Will adding goldfish make the other koi fish calm? I'm still looking for chagoi fish. If anyone wants to sell me. Let me know.:lol:.

No, it will make them even more stressed, because you will be further deteriorating your water quality. They will get even more stressed and die faster from ammonia poisoning. The stress your fish show is almost certainly caused by poor and deteriorating water conditions.

FWIW, Im currently holding 4 very small koi in an unfiltered plastic container for treatment. The container is filled with ~20 gallon of water, and I have to change 50% of that daily to prevent these fish from poisoning themselves. Even with that much fresh water, my test readings for ammonia and nitrite are uncomfortably high.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm pretty new to pond hobby. I've started with it just a month ago. I have a small pond with 7 koi fishes. I enjoy watching them everyday. They come out usually and run away when I get close to them. After almost a month of feeding them they still run away when I get close but at least they come out from the rock hiding place. I was happy.

Here is the problem. 2 days ago, my neighbors kids throwed some rocks on the pond and now I have not seen them come out of the rock. I usually put food on the pond and they will come out. I try to see in the rock, they are still there but they won't come out ever.:)

What should I do?
They will be fine because they will eat bugs and stuff that will fall in the pond. Make sure your feeding them good fish food. I’ve owned koi and large gold fish outdoors I’m talking about for years. Also make sure your pond is also covered with a net. I have a very large pond and waterfall and many years ago I lost 25 fish to a mink. That’s right a mink! We have them in NJ as well as the crane and of cause raccoons. Keep a watch over your fish and I’m sure they will be fine. Also don’t feed them if there is a storm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ah, where's @poconojoe and @Lisak1 or even @Mmathis to whack the newbie with a 'do you KNOW how old this thread is?'

heh, heh, okay, I'll do it but ONLY this time; Ah, @dac7512 ? Pretty sure the OP has it sorted, but good on you for all the advice! Feel free to intro yourself in the Introductions forum and let us know how your pond is doing via lotsa pics!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ah, where's @poconojoe and @Lisak1 or even @Mmathis to whack the newbie with a 'do you KNOW how old this thread is?'

heh, heh, okay, I'll do it but ONLY this time; Ah, @dac7512 ? Pretty sure the OP has it sorted, but good on you for all the advice! Feel free to intro yourself in the Introductions forum and let us know how your pond is doing via lotsa pics!
You beat us to it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

Holy koi! I mean mackerel!
I almost fell for it again...the dreaded old thread syndrome, aka DOTS.

Thanks for the save Sword! I was about to add a post!!!
Too bad, it would have been another opportunity for you to goof on me again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ten years i wouldn't call that an old thread id call that mummy gauze wrap

Ask a Question