sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yes several fish I have taken in from pond owners that don't know what to do .I have taken care of over 20 fish and have 6 now that have shown signs of flashing and have sores on them from the bad water they were in .That is why I always have 2 stoke tanks with water in them .1 in the basement and now 1 outdoors

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
yes several fish I have taken in from pond owners that don't know what to do .I have taken care of over 20 fish and have 6 now that have shown signs of flashing and have sores on them from the bad water they were in .That is why I always have 2 stoke tanks with water in them .1 in the basement and now 1 outdoors

From years of experience, I have become very skeptical of any off-the-shelf product. This is one reason that I will always find the MSDS of the product to learn what the results of its use and the effects on the whole pond environment may be. I am especially skeptical of any off-the shelf product that does not have a MSDS readily available for scrutiny. This Hydroplex is one of those products. A MSDS for this product is nowhere to be found which is quite interesting since these are Federally required documents.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
From years of experience, I have become very skeptical of any off-the-shelf product. This is one reason that I will always find the MSDS of the product to learn what the results of its use and the effects on the whole pond environment may be. I am especially skeptical of any off-the shelf product that does not have a MSDS readily available for scrutiny. This Hydroplex is one of those products. A MSDS for this product is nowhere to be found which is quite interesting since these are Federally required documents.

This is the old list of ingredients:
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, octyl dodecanol, polysorbate-20, polyvinyl pyrrolidone, potassium phosphate, potassium sorbate, propylparaben
They have since changed formulations.

I tried before looking for a MSDS for Hydroplex and found that because the product is not used in a workplace, a MSDS is not required. The manufacturer is pretty adamant about keeping its ingredients private.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is the old list of ingredients:
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, octyl dodecanol, polysorbate-20, polyvinyl pyrrolidone, potassium phosphate, potassium sorbate, propylparaben
They have since changed formulations.

I tried before looking for a MSDS for Hydroplex and found that because the product is not used in a workplace, a MSDS is not required. The manufacturer is pretty adamant about keeping its ingredients private.

Interesting because based on what I have read OSHA may not require a MSDS in these circumstances, the EPA certainly does to verify that a product is or is not hazardous to the environment. In addition, some states, notably California have guidelines that are even stricter than the EPA.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could the fish just be breeding instead of flashing .I have 2 stock tanks with these fish and put he sicker ones in one and the somewhat healthier 2 in another .I think the healthier 2 are trying to breed .I have found over the years that most meds for fish are cancer causing meds and you need to keep a close eye on them and do water changes ,but this stuff does not require that and peroxide seems to help it work better .I tried to take pics but it is way to hard since I don't want to stress these fish out .Before it was easier because the test was done with a big fish tank .A couple of the fish that healed 2 months ago had ich really bad and took a month at treatments every 2 days the first week and then I was allowed to use it combined with the peroxide and also spray it on the fish directly .Spraying on the fish directly was the best but the hardest to do .They healed and so far owner says they are doing great .I tried to find something that was safer and that is how i came across this test study .I was more than skeptical .Since all the other meds made the fish jump and get stressed out .Plus you had to watch them and do all those water changes .It was not easy before to heal a fish ,but this seems to work better and safer than others .I did not even know the name of the stuff at the time

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jenny Is "flashing" the only symptom you are seeing?

I agree that the best thing to do is net a fish and try to scrape and scope to see exactly what you are dealing with. Yes, it's stressful, but so is illness.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The male was hanging by the surface today with his head up and tail down.

I can't do a scrape—I don't have a microscope.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just pulled him up and he looks entirely normal. The only thing I might have seen is his nostril (I don't know the scientific name for it) looks a little torn.
Nitrites are 0ppm. And pH is above 7.6, but I don't have a high-range test kit, so I don't know the exact number

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry last thing....his top fin has a red streak that was not there before.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since none of the younger fish (fingerlings) have been reported exhibiting any symptoms and knowing that at that young age a fish's immune system is not fully developed and functional leads me to conclude that this one fish is just a particularly weak fish and has contracted some internal infection. The fish may be treated, in quarantine, with medicated food (if you can still get any) or broad spectrum anti-bacterial, but I would not hold out much hope at this point.

Reaction score
Country
United States
He made it through an outbreak last year....

Would a broad-spectrum medication like Microbe-Lift be okay?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So he's in a 300 gallon tub with a treatment of Microbe-Lift....he was horrifyingly easy to catch.

I have a pump in, but it's not doing much in the way of surface agitation. Should there be very thorough oxygenation with treatment?

Ask a Question