Koi Fry???

Koi_

Shubunkin/koi cross breed?
Reaction score
Country
United States
So, this is a long story so put on your seatbelt.

Our family has a koi pond that we introduced in our backyard last summer. We bought a variety of sizes and types of fish including,

-Shubunkin Goldfish
-Four koi around 8-9 inches
-Koi that was at least a foot or more

Now, we had these fish for around around 6 months, but then a hawk or heron ate most of our fish around a month and a half ago and we are left with

-2 Shubunkin Goldfish (6 inches or so)
-1 koi (8 inches or so)

Now the real question is are they koi or are they Shubunkin fry. I have researched this that koi reproduce and lay eggs around 2 years or 10-12 inches which our largest koi was before being eaten.

These fry have developed and now have color and some are getting close to an inch while some are around a half an inch.

Just looking for input here to answer any questions!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
froggy45.gif
and welcome @Koi_
Ah sorry to hear about the bird getting your fish. I had to put a net over my goldfish pond to stop the heron.
If they are koi they will soon get barbels on their faces. Then they supposedly lose the first set and get new ones till they eventually get the permanent ones. If they get none then they are Shubbies.

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 157425and welcome @Koi_
Ah sorry to hear about the bird getting your fish. I had to put a net over my goldfish pond to stop the heron.
If they are koi they will soon get barbels on their faces. Then they supposedly lose the first set and get new ones till they eventually get the permanent ones. If they get none then they are Shubbies.
Thank you so much for the reply, when would they get the “barbels” since they are tiny right now?

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I read it takes a couple weeks or so.
Well I think the fry are already passed that stage unfortunately since they have already developed color. I am thinking they are shubunkin fry even though they are not of reproductive age.

Unless the fry are a month are so old and my big one foot fish had those eggs

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How many gallons? is your pond?

Koi require a lot of water room and filtration. I have a decent sized pond, but have only shubunkins and some goldfish (coments, etc)
Like my plants and they just live in the pond without fuss.

I have my pond netted, the heron came every day for years until I did. Tried all sorts of anti heron things, finally just netted the pond, which stopped them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
There’s a device called a scarecrow that attaches to a hose and has a motion detector. Blue herons and hawks were scared off from my pond. I know that wasn’t the question but I used it to keep them away from the koi. Just Google scarecrow motion detector, or use a net.

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
How many gallons? is your pond?

Koi require a lot of water room and filtration. I have a decent sized pond, but have only shubunkins and some goldfish (coments, etc)
Like my plants and they just live in the pond without fuss.

I have my pond netted, the heron came every day for years until I did. Tried all sorts of anti heron things, finally just netted the pond, which stopped them.
I have a 900-1000 gallon pond
We also have a lot of hiding spots in the pond

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
UPDATE:

They seem to be getting bigger and the largest one has markings like a Shubunkin, but some are all brown and black and some are totally white

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Often fry that are brown and black, or even an olive green, are hybrids....a cross between a koi and a goldfish ( shubunkin ).

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
Often fry that are brown and black, or even an olive green, are hybrids....a cross between a koi and a goldfish ( shubunkin ).
Will they look like a koi as an adult if a Shubunkin breeds with a koi?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Will they look like a koi as an adult if a Shubunkin breeds with a koi?
What colors does you koi have and your Shubbies? Both these breeds will change colors so who knows? Might be very interesting patterns of fish if they bred w/your koi. But then they could be all koi if they bred before you lost your other koi. I'd just watch and see what they turn into and photo's would be nice of now and as they grow. We love photo's of ponds and all fish :joyful:

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
What colors does you koi have and your Shubbies? Both these breeds will change colors so who knows? Might be very interesting patterns of fish if they bred w/your koi. But then they could be all koi if they bred before you lost your other koi. I'd just watch and see what they turn into and photo's would be nice of now and as they grow. We love photo's of ponds and all fish :joyful:
Yeah I will when they grow up,

Shubbies are spotted black with orangish red

Old koi were:

Gold and black that was the large one (dead 1 1/2 feet)

8-9 inch were

Silver (dead)
All black (which is still alive)
White with red kinda looked like a comet pattern (dead)

Ask a Question