j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lets hope those are Shubbies and not koi babies or they will for sure out grow your pond. I will be waiting to hear what they are when they get bigger.

Koi_

Shubunkin/koi cross breed?
Reaction score
Country
United States
Be careful, adding or wanting koi. That is enough water to have one. They need a lot of water room and a lot of filtration.
Yeah we are doing our best with what we have right now we have aerators and water falls and bacteria we add regularly.

We already have a plan in place for our extra fish we don’t have room for we do want to see them grow up tho as it will be fun

Last edited:

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
Be careful, adding or wanting koi. That is enough water to have one. They need a lot of water room and a lot of filtration.
Yes, thank you for the information hoping these are either koi goldfish mix or Shubunkins!! I do realize this fact we have a local pond place which is very nice and have experts in this field we are going to consult with them this weekend. They actually recommend 4-5 koi with a 1,000 gallon pond as long as the pond is kept clean and healthy! I do appreciate your help and insight look forward to getting to know you and this community!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If the "pond experts" recommend 4-5 koi in your 1000 gallon pond, then they are experts in selling fish that are doomed. There is simply no way to keep a pond of that size "clean and healthy" enough to support that many fish - UNLESS you add some crazy extensive filtration and work on water quality NON-STOP. Please - don't believe people who give you bad advice from the get-go.

As for your fry - if you're seeing them this year, they were born last year. so the fish that WERE there last year could very well be the parents.

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the "pond experts" recommend 4-5 koi in your 1000 gallon pond, then they are experts in selling fish that are doomed. There is simply no way to keep a pond of that size "clean and healthy" enough to support that many fish - UNLESS you add some crazy extensive filtration and work on water quality NON-STOP. Please - don't believe people who give you bad advice from the get-go.

As for your fry - if you're seeing them this year, they were born last year. so the fish that WERE there last year could very well be the parents.
I am really glad I joined this forum as it was helpful to know what’s best for my pond!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They actually recommend 4-5 koi with a 1,000
They are not experts that care they are experts who SELL . oR IN THERE defense they maybe looking at the koi won't survive but a year or two and 4 small koi will never stress the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, this is a long story so put on your seatbelt.

Our family has a koi pond that we introduced in our backyard last summer. We bought a variety of sizes and types of fish including,

-Shubunkin Goldfish
-Four koi around 8-9 inches
-Koi that was at least a foot or more

Now, we had these fish for around around 6 months, but then a hawk or heron ate most of our fish around a month and a half ago and we are left with

-2 Shubunkin Goldfish (6 inches or so)
-1 koi (8 inches or so)

Now the real question is are they koi or are they Shubunkin fry. I have researched this that koi reproduce and lay eggs around 2 years or 10-12 inches which our largest koi was before being eaten.

These fry have developed and now have color and some are getting close to an inch while some are around a half an inch.

Just looking for input here to answer any questions!
We used to have the same problem like that, herons eating all our fish, we solved that problem by putting a net over the entire pond, now our kois are big and healthy.

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
1684354818748.jpeg

1684354851928.jpeg

1684354877099.jpeg

1684354904001.jpeg

1684354919164.jpeg

Here are some photos which will let you see sorry about the quality!!

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
Too be sure, keep a watch for those barbels.
The mother we think that had the eggs which unfortunately passed away was a butterfly koi! Do you know if fish around 6-8 inches can even lay eggs

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

Koi_

Reaction score
Country
United States

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's what I saw and the koi that was in our pond before getting caught was over 12" and was a butterfly koi while the shubunkins are only 6". However, we had no other fish that large besides that one koi
I think the shubbies you had in there were big enough to breed.
They say shubbies are born black or brownish.

Maybe you have a combo of baby koi or baby Shubbies or koi shubbie mix. Anything is possible w/the fish you had in there.

I just read:

Are koi fish born black?​

They can be pretty much any color that koi are typically known for (just not as defined as an adult koi), but they won’t be black. Some varieties of koi are bred to be all black, but unless you stock all black koi in your pond, it’s very unlikely to have all-black babies.

Ask a Question