Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I see now. I dont have drains in my pond or any returns from the outside. I might use that system on the new pond I am going to build this winter though cause it is going to have a hard spray in liner that will accommodate drains and returns etc.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The quality of their food plays an important part, too, esp when they're younger [I apologize if this was already mentioned], as does the water quality.

I don't have koi, so no experience there, but I did take a summer to grow out some goldfish fry -- and boy, that was the LONGEST summer of my life, or so it seemed, LOL! Anyway, it was a chance to get some practical experience and make my own observations. When I could, I fed the fry live foods, and fed them frequently. They almost seemed to GROW overnight! And each winter I would keep 2 of those fry in my indoor tank so I could be a "mommy" over the winter :). Those fish were always larger than their siblings when released in the spring (for clarification, I only "raised" fry one summer, but the summer prior to that I did find 2 fry in the pond, and both of those came inside that winter).
Technically any animal will grow some overnight :p and during the day.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The quality of their food plays an important part, too, esp when they're younger [I apologize if this was already mentioned], as does the water quality.

I don't have koi, so no experience there, but I did take a summer to grow out some goldfish fry -- and boy, that was the LONGEST summer of my life, or so it seemed, LOL! Anyway, it was a chance to get some practical experience and make my own observations. When I could, I fed the fry live foods, and fed them frequently. They almost seemed to GROW overnight! And each winter I would keep 2 of those fry in my indoor tank so I could be a "mommy" over the winter :). Those fish were always larger than their siblings when released in the spring (for clarification, I only "raised" fry one summer, but the summer prior to that I did find 2 fry in the pond, and both of those came inside that winter).
My map turtle Fatso Marx grows by the second it seams

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
interesting a fish slide Marshall ,that would be funny to see .I saw TPR for the first time when Eric the ponddigger showed how to do them on a pond that he did .I really don't like some of the so called high quality food besides the price they just are not liked by my fish .I use black water koi food it has plant matter and krill already in it and my fish love there fall food because it has garlic already in it .

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
interesting a fish slide Marshall ,that would be funny to see .I saw TPR for the first time when Eric the ponddigger showed how to do them on a pond that he did .I really don't like some of the so called high quality food besides the price they just are not liked by my fish .I use black water koi food it has plant matter and krill already in it and my fish love there fall food because it has garlic already in it .
My koi have been eating apc brand pond food for their entire lives and they love it. 20 pounds cost about 18 dollars and I only give them supplemental added foods certain times of the year. My turtles do get a more gourmet diet but they are spoiled all around anyways :D I feed them a krill and shrimp pellet plus fresh greens mixed with high protein pellets. Once a week they get fresh ghost shrimp and the ocassional live fish although they just watch the fish for 2 or three days before they figure out it is actually a swimming lunch and not a decoration

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my fish love my fresh strawberries and blueberries I grow here and they love watermelon .But they do love there krill but it sure does smell when you add water to hydrate it

Ask a Question