Koi color and growth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've had a white fantail koi with black spots for 5-6 years. It is about 13-15 inches long. Today I noticed that one of it's front fins has a red streak that goes from where the fin meets the body to the tip of the fin. At first I thought it was blood, but the coloron that fin has actually has changed. What would cause this. I do have some string algae right now, but I am sure that would't cause the color change. Water tests are all within normal parameters. The only thing I've done differently is feeding them some blueberry treats that Sissy recommended from Petmountan.com. Any ideas on why the color would change so quickly?

A friend of mine gave me 6 koi (3-4 inches) about this time last year when she did away with her pond. One of them has at least quadrupled in growth compared to the others. It is larger than a koi that I've had for 5-6 years. What causes such rapid growth in some but not others???

Ask a Question