Koi pond came with house - need help!

GMN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like the idea of a goldfish pond - I feel quite sad for those big Koi in such a small area. My partner disagreed, sigh, but were we to decide on goldfish - how do we find a reputable person to collect (and purchase) the Koi????

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like the idea of a goldfish pond - I feel quite sad for those big Koi in such a small area. My partner disagreed, sigh, but were we to decide on goldfish - how do we find a reputable person to collect (and purchase) the Koi????
You might want to remind your partner that overstocked ponds (for example, koi in a too-small pond) are eventually going to have water quality issues which will result in sick and/or dead fish.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! As far as rehoming the koi, you could see if any local pond stores would take them, or do a post on offerup/Craigslist/next door or whatever you have in your area to see if anyone wants to take them in :)

and I will mention that if your partner is dead set on the koi, with your water volume you could keep two or three of the smaller ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I think you're at the tipping point of too many koi for the size of your really nice looking pond. When I was in Chicago, I had a single koi and 4 (then 12!) goldfish in a shaded 1000 gallon pond with a biofilter and UV clarifier, and summer-added plants. I did good but not obsessive monitoring of water quality, lots of filter cleaning, and all fish lived happily for years (still are; most of us moved to Florida last fall and some got re-homed in Chicago). If you keep 1 (= no babies) or 2 (uh oh!) koi and some goldfish, re-home others, I think you'll have an easier time balancing fish health and mental health. It's brutal when a pond deteriorates quickly and you see fish die off. Good luck. have fun.

Ask a Question