Koi pond! Really confused.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everybody, This spring I will be building a pond for Koi. It will be aroumd 2,000 gallons. I live in Canada so 4.5 feet deep , 10 feet long by 7 feet wide. I do have a couple questions regarding the build.

Can I use two filters? the pressure type? Since I already have one but based off my research it i not strong enough so I was thinking about buying another filter?
If so how do I go about this?
1 pump at the bottom of the pond that goes to one filter , 1 pump in the skimmer that leads to another filter then both filters merge to one pipe using a Y and out the waterfall?

or sell the one I have, purchase a 4,000 gph filter? but how do I run a pump in skimmer, pump in water? waterfall ect.. Im confused..

Or

should I be doing 1 skimmer with pump into 1 filted that goes to the other filter that then pumps out in the waterfall? Meaning no pump submerges in water.

Is there a better way to go about it?

Super thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
So woud my best bet be

1 skimmer with internal pump to external filter to waterfall
1 pump at the bottom of pond to external filter to waterfall

If one filter stops then the other one will continue to work.

Will it defeat the purpose of having a skimmer pump and bottom pump? will they sorta cancel eachother out or in fact help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So woud my best bet be

1 skimmer with internal pump to external filter to waterfall
1 pump at the bottom of pond to external filter to waterfall

If one filter stops then the other one will continue to work.
Will it defeat the purpose of having a skimmer pump and bottom pump? will they sorta cancel eachother out or in fact help?

Your best bet will be a bog. But maybe this plan will be your second best bet.

Your two pump plan will work fine. They won’t cancel each other out.

Don’t put a pump directly in the bottom of your pond, though. Will clog too easily with gunk. Raise it 6” or so off the bottom.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Your best bet will be a bog. But maybe this plan will be your second best bet.

Your two pump plan will work fine. They won’t cancel each other out.

Don’t put a pump directly in the bottom of your pond, though. Will clog too easily with gunk. Raise it 6” or so off the bottom.
I do agree with a bog after watching several videos , I just dont have enough space to do so unless I shrink my pond size which I would rather not.

Okay perfect, I also read to keep it off the bottom of the floor just in case something malfunctions at least the Koi have some water remaining.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I do agree with a bog after watching several videos , I just dont have enough space to do so unless I shrink my pond size which I would rather not.

Okay perfect, I also read to keep it off the bottom of the floor just in case something malfunctions at least the Koi have some water remaining.

Also was thinking of one filter acting as a mechanical filtration where as the other one would be a biological filtration.
Would you recomend me using the skimmer filter as bio and the submerged pond pump as the mechanical?

Should I also add a spillway waterfall with even more Bio inside?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Does that makes sense?

Attachments

• 20220329_091449.jpg
    20220329_091449.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A skimmer is first and foremost a mechanical skimmer that can be modified to do a tiny amount of bio filtration. So, I would use the skimmer as mechanical and your external filter as bio. If you can add a waterfall filter to the mix, even better. You can never have too much bio filtration.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A skimmer is first and foremost a mechanical skimmer that can be modified to do a tiny amount of bio filtration. So, I would use the skimmer as mechanical and your external filter as bio. If you can add a waterfall filter to the mix, even better. You can never have too much bio filtration.
Awesome thanks,

So ill do mechanical in skimmer into 1 filter and a submerge pump in pond about 10" from floor to the other filter
Two filters running with Bio that meet to Y that exit into a waterfall filter with bio with some fine mesh mechcanical to really clean the tiny particles.

How does this sound?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Awesome thanks,

So ill do mechanical in skimmer into 1 filter and a submerge pump in pond about 10" from floor to the other filter
Two filters running with Bio that meet to Y that exit into a waterfall filter with bio with some fine mesh mechcanical to really clean the tiny particles.

How does this sound?
If you are building the pond for koi and are relying on external pressure type filters (and not a bog), I would strongly suggest a bottom drain. Solid waste will collect on the bottom, but it really should be removed from the water column quickly and not allowed collect and decompose in the water. Also not a big fan of pressure filters, though I have used them on small water garden ponds without koi. If you are not doing a bog, there are a number of DIY gravity flow filters that you can build cheaply that will provide far better bio filtration than most pressure fitters. Shower, trickle, moving bed and static barrel filters are all relatively easy to build, cheap, and require little to no maintenance if constructed right. Most pressure filters provide only mechanical filtration with minimal bio filtration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If i didn't have TWO BOGS i would go with a shower for biological filter , and a sponge / matala pad for the mechanical filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Actually for the mechanical id do the drum filters but they start at 3 k i believe oh wait that was two years ago, today they are 6k

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those self-cleaning RDFs are really cool.
I may go with a small one, and a ozone system . the water would be crazy polished , then start breeding. im getting at least 6 to 12 fish a year make all the fish big bucks get 1500 a fish and pay the electric bill

Ask a Question