Koi pond! Really confused.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would be skeptical to think a pond cycled in a month or two. while levels maybe low it could also mean there's just no load. but if there was a spike i would tend to think it won't be able to handle it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would be skeptical to think a pond cycled in a month or two. while levels maybe low it could also mean there's just no load. but if there was a spike i would tend to think it won't be able to handle it.

What should I do? Water changes? more beneficial bacteria? more prime?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Patience. the natural bog really can't be rushed . The bacteria colonies and the multitude of microbes and bugs, worms, water walkers, frogs, tad poles etc etc etc can't be rushed they will come at there own speed. While we can seed with BB it takes time for the pond to find balance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When you use fish to cycle your pond, the results can be deadly.

How big is your pond and how many fish did you add?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
When you use fish to cycle your pond, the results can be deadly.

How big is your pond and how many fish did you add?

Right under 4,000 gallons. I have 8 Koi inside. All pretty small, maybe 5 to 6". One larger around 8" that has the red veins.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The larger fish will usually show signs of instability in a pond first. But when it comes to parasites they may heal better than the younger fish . But when it comes to low o2 they are the first to go

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The larger fish will usually show signs of instability in a pond first. But when it comes to parasites they may heal better than the younger fish . But when it comes to low o2 they are the first to go
You think it might be an oxygen issue?

I have a waterfall that splashes the surface as well as an air pump that creates a lot of bubbles thus creating a lot of water agitation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No ... more chance of internal parasite or possibly ph . Like I said before I would make some medicated food with oxolonic acid

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I’ve heard it can take up to 80 days but it varies a lot. So it’s possible it could have cycled in two months but I’d still be monitoring it closely!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Right under 4,000 gallons. I have 8 Koi inside. All pretty small, maybe 5 to 6". One larger around 8" that has the red veins.

Anytime I see red I assume infection of some kind. Either parasites or irritation from ammonia? Can you get a picture?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anytime I see red I assume infection of some kind. Either parasites or irritation from ammonia? Can you get a picture?
20220731_180237.jpg

Ask a Question