koi rubbing their sides help needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mmathis said:
Dave, how do you go about taking a scraping, and do you have to do anything special with the slide (recalling college micro class)? Where are the particular places on the fish that you would want to sample? Do you sedate the fish and how? If you didn't have a microscope, could you get your samples, then take them somewhere to be looked at (wondering how "time sensitive" the specimens would be)? Seems that would be less stressful to the fish if you could take the specimens somewhere without having to transport the fish.

Pd, didn't your other fish also have this milky stuff? Wondering if it's the same thing.
First catch you koi or goldfih in a net allowing it to calm down somewhat prior to doing the scrape, once the fish is calm raise the fish just out of the water hollding it through the net leaving an area clear of the net to take your scrape.
Using a credit card from behind the gills on the body of the koi or goldfish gently scrape along the flank of the fish taking off a thin layer of mucus.
Once you have this release your fish hen with the card speard the mucus on a slide then cover this with another slide and using x60 or above on your microscope look to see what you have under there you'll notice all sorts of wonderful things under there but any parasite will show up as in the slide photos I posted earlier .
pdpond if you would stop thinking people think your not a good fish keeper and listen to what a fish keeper of many years experiance is trying to tell you then perhaps you would get on more with others and learn some important skills .
I for one am not a marine biologist nor do I wish to turn anyone into one I resent that remark but am forgiving enough to help you.
Once you figure out its all about the fish and not your personality then perhaps you'll get somewhere.
There is a whole new world inside that of fish keeping to explore (a truely amazing one at that)and one that will put anyone in good stead for a hobby that will last you years rather than the time it takes you to kee loosing fish were eventually you'd get pissed off with loosing fish and jack the hobby in.....
Instead youd be saving fish and in a few more years be helping someone else in your own situation its not about you, its about the fish you keep who if looked after correctly will in the case of goldfish extend their lives to 40 years and in the case of koi 80+ years "now do you get it " ????.
Turtle mommy no you dont need to sedate but you should have your own microscope which are nowadays quite cheaply bought.
Bresser do a very good microscope that are sometmes seen on sale in stores like Lidl walmart and others that are fantastically cheap to buy .
They also sell some wicked scopes in computer shops etc that connect like my own directly onto my PC, or prior to our break in our laptop, you can if you wish colour your slides thats up to you.
I'm adding a link about bresser microscopes mine is the top one x 40 - x1204 which is more than enough for what you need £59 is cheap not sure on exchange rate :-

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/Sear...=24790254055&gclid=CLi-6ff90LcCFc3HtAodS0oAMA

rgrds

Dave

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
First off dave dont talk to me like im your child. Im not. I didnt ask for you pipe into my post nor be a jerk
Id rather have dead koi and learn off google then have read that kind of shit from a stranger with a god complex

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
pdpond said:
First off dave dont talk to me like im your child. Im not. I didnt ask for you pipe into my post nor be a jerk
Id rather have dead koi and learn off google then have read that kind of shit from a stranger with a god complex
Pd, Dave, and many other members on the GPF, have a lot of practical experience with fish care. That comes from years of reading, hands-on, and trial-and-error. I don't have that experience, so I come here to LEARN. In order to learn, one must have an open mind.

Please don't continue to put your fish at risk. If ponding isn't for you, then PLEASE re-home your fish.

Don't blame us, because it appears that you have disregarded most of the advice you've been given. Not only disregarded, but openly challenged and opposed. [previous thread]

Sorry, but if you think you're being treated like a child....... And yes, you DID "ask [Dave] to pipe into your post...." Any time you make a post, you are basically inviting comments and input. That's the purpose here. People like Dave want to HELP you and your fish, NOT watch your fish die, and you with no regard for their lives!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
pdpond said:
This behaviour is bang out of order and will not be tolerated here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
no they had white spots which I thought was possibly ich, these fish have never crossed paths or the same water at all,
the other fish cleared up once treated with a salt bath

just one of the big guys has this issue and is also sitting on the bottom of the pond with clenched fins
You dont have to catch the big fish because it will be spreading through your pond believe me it will one of the little ones will show low level infection if they have been infected it doesnt take all that long to infest a pond .
This is why QTing your fish for a month is vitally important am I giving you a clearer picture now ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Becky its alright I've had this many times before I'm here for the fish pdpond will either take it in or he will disapear in the meantime capewind and others who are interested in this thread will take something away from it .
It seems to me there are disruptive people on any site you go on they skip from site to site and its so sad .
He says I have a god complex which shows him for what he is "Id rather have a dead koi" (the rest I'll leave)
Thse are the folk who give our hobby a bad name, he thinks I'm talking down to him but if he would get off his high horse and stop throwing his toys out of the pram, then we may get somewhere save his fish and let him enjoy what is the most relaxing thing Val and I know.
If he keeps on like this he'll have no fish left to post about.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Turtle mommy has taken something away from this post and see's him for what he is .
It's a shame really beacause he really could be learning and as Turtle Mommy will take this away remember it and in turn teach others its this way knowledge gets to spread fish are given a vhance at living a long life take our two oldest at 27 years still fighting fit and in good condition but only because we took time to buy the books and learn.
Some people think its alright these fish only live a few years if they die then i can get some more the truth is its the exact opposite they are long lived.as I posted 40 years for goldfish and 80 years for koi.
I jope your having good weather in Manchester at the moment Becky we have blue skys down here and we are getting quite a tan the pond thermometer is at 18.2c at the moment the koi are loving it lol
How are you finding things after your operation ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Had a wonderful day out by the pond doing maintenance tomorrow is scrape day for them Turtle Mommy I think you asked about these nasties being in everyones ponds the truth is yes some are but in low numbers.
They come from bird droppings new plants, they are beautiful in their makeup but deadly in what they do,
I was so agry when we had the break in because all our fish data was on it which means we have to start all over again if the Ombusman finds in our favour, "the insurance companies are reeling with all the floods weve had these last couple of years", and have paid out sometimes twice to the poor folks getting the worst of it, they are even now hiking the insurance to these people so high and have removed their flood cover.
They are also hitting the people who dont get flooded hard in an attempt to claw back the millions they have had to pay out hense them forcing us to fight for what we pay them for compensation for our loss.
Its happeing to people all across the UK. Thankfully if we dont get the ruling we want off the Ombusman we can go to our housing trust who I have been toold will pay because it turns out the locking mechinism to that window was defective but they have to wait for that ruling for or against.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The ombudsman is a body of Solicitors who look into the claim to see if the insurace people have squirmed out of paying the claimant they are free and look into Banking errors , Insurance claims that are in dispute and one or two other things which I'm unsure about but basically they are a type of legal watch dog set in place by government .
They look out for the little man in other words :claphands:

rgrds

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dave 54 said:
The ombudsman is a body of Solicitors who look into the claim to see if the insurace people have squirmed out of paying the claimant they are free and look into Banking errors , Insurance claims that are in dispute and one or two other things which I'm unsure about but basically they are a type of legal watch dog set in place by government .
They look out for the little man in other words :claphands:

rgrds

Dave
Thanks, from this [Southern] Yankee!! ;)

Is it a system that works?

Solicitor? Is that an attorney?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mmathis said:
Thanks, from this [Southern] Yankee!! ;)

Is it a system that works?

Solicitor? Is that an attorney?
Eurtle Mommy you are spot on thats what we call Attorny's here in the Uk and it dooes work they find in your favour anf the insurance people cannot argue they have to pay up by law

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question