Koi spawn

Reaction score
Koi just spawned this morning moved some plants inside to indoor pond.Does anyone know if water temp has an effect on hatching fry?Also have never done the brine shrimp hatcherie's.What do u have to do and where do you get them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
mine just spawned too...so i did some research it seems 63* to 68* is the norm for temp. 63* being ideal, the lower temp takes a few extra days to hatch but the fry is less prone to defects. the later hatching eggs are the more ornate fish the sooner hatchers will have less color and have a tendancy to be less ornate but hardier. this comes from a few koi breeding sites. cant varify the info but its what ive read

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You should have had the hatcheries and eggs ready ahead of this, I lost hundreds of fry last year waiting on my shipment of brineshrimp eggs and hatcheries.
If you have any pet supply places locally, buy the hatcheries and eggs right away and get them going. Your eggs will require sea water to hatch. I make mine with rock salt. 10 grams per liter is perfect, easy to remember. I use a bucket that has 15 liters marked off on it and I add 150 grams of rock salt. To make it easy to use, I have a coleman water container that I once used for camping to dispense the water easily. I also use a flurescent lamp that must be on 24/7.
I have 4 of these going and it is not enough for the amount of fry that I have.

Attachments

• Brine shrimp hatcheries.jpg
    Brine shrimp hatcheries.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 450

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That is what I had to use until the hatchery and supplies showed up. The live brine shrimp are small enough for the fry to eat and stay in solution so they can find it. You also have to turn off the air so the water is not too turbulant while eating. i leave it off up to 1/2 hour and the light stays on 24/7 so they can feed.

Ask a Question