ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I woke up this morning and went out to check the pond because we got 1.5 inches of rain, and what do I see? My largest male koi, 12+ inches, taking advantage of my little 9-inch butterfly female!
DSC_5083_zps7a0434ab.jpg

These two, who I believe spawned together last year as well, have been at it all morning, with the rest of my school following close behind to feast on the fruits of the poor little mother's labors. I put some spawning mops that I had made years back in to hopefully catch some of the eggs, which worked fairly well :)
IMG_1849_zps9c2dd415.jpg

some eggs on the spawning mop made out of yarn.
IMG_1846_zps0dd1c058.jpg

these poor eggs were spawned above the water on a rock, and they are too sticky for me to return them to the water without moving the huge boulder :(

I am fairly sure it is very late for koi to be spawning, but because I was slow to reconstruct my pond this year after the old liner sprung a leak, the fish have been in the pond for less than a week. The water in the pond is colder than the indoor take that they were living in, so I wonder if the change in temperature fooled them into thinking it was spring.
DSC_5086_zpsc9203548.jpg

DSC_5084_zps73bff0e2.jpg

Only these two spawned, with two small 6-inch males attempting to get in on the action with the butterfly female, most-likely unsuccessfully. None of the goldfish were spawning, and my larger female seemed uninterested in spawning or eating the eggs, which puzzled me:cool:.

By the time I took pictures and video, they had slowed down some, probably finishing up. This is the first time I have been able to clearly observe who the father and mother of the fry are, so that makes me quite happy. One downside is that I already have too many solid-colored metallic koi, which both of these parents are, so hopefully they have some variety in their genes that will give me other colors. Hopefully many of them inherit their mother's long fins as well :D
IMG_1828_zps432f3005.jpg

This little fishy was born last year, and I believe him to be the child of this same pair. He has the coloring of his papa and the long fins of his mamma.

IMG_1819_zpsa260b5c9.jpg

this is where I am placing the spawning mops.
I'm placing the spawning mops in the upper little pond above the waterfall. The fry might not stay up there when they hatch, but at least the eggs will be safe from being eaten. My pond is not very established this year, so I might have to try and feed the fry myself..something I've never really done successfully. So that will be interesting.:confused:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good for you on actually getting to raise some that have grown up in your pond. Now hopefully you will have more. Good luck on the colors :)

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well here's an update, the water is slimy and smells really bad after the spawning :p. Many, perhaps over half the eggs are starting to turn white, which I believe means they aren't fertilized. Apparently father fish's aim wasn't the best :confused:. I did a partial water change without letting the water level go down to try and get rid of the smell but it didn't really work. I guess I'll have to wait until the eggs hatch.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
It can happen several times in a season.
What can? Spawning? Well this is definitely the first time it has happened this year, as the fish have only been outside for a week. Are you saying that the uninterested female might still spawn? Or are you saying the goldfish might take their turn soon too?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
What can? Spawning? Well this is definitely the first time it has happened this year, as the fish have only been outside for a week. Are you saying that the uninterested female might still spawn? Or are you saying the goldfish might take their turn soon too?
Spawning can happen several times a season. It's happened to my pond months apart. This season, I've seen it at least twice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've had two spawnings this season, with two separate females. I did multiple water changes and pulled my plants nets to hose them off. It took a few days for the smell to dissipate, but i did water changes every day.

I thought all the eggs had been eatern, but I now have about 20 fry...seems like the little devils are multiplying! They are very colorful and spunky....coming up to nibble on the food with the big guys!

If anyone is near me ( Cincinnati, Ohio) I'll happily give away koi babies:)

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Water changes Zack, water changes!
I would but most of the eggs are on the rocks very close to the surface. I don't want the eggs to dry up while I change the water. My pump is too powerful to fill and empty the pond at the same time, it still drains it too quickly. So far I've cleaned the water a bit just by letting the hose water overflow the pond for 15 or twenty minutes. I'll start doing proper water changes after the fry are free-swimming.

Ask a Question