Koi suddenly died

Reaction score
Country
United States
Better today: the pH is 7.5 and the KH is 40.

The baking soda instructions I found online said to add 1 teaspoon of baking soda for every 8 gallons of water. With a 4,500 gallon pond, that means I'd need 562 teaspoons, or 12 cups of baking soda. That seems like a lot.

Thanks as always.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are right. That's too much. You don't want to raise it that quickly.

I would add no more than one cup per day. Dissolve the baking soda in water and pour that into the pond. Do that daily until the KH is around 100 or more.

Have you already added baking soda to get it to 7.5? That's a pretty quick jump and I would want to slow that down some. This should take several days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Better today: the pH is 7.5 and the KH is 40.

The baking soda instructions I found online said to add 1 teaspoon of baking soda for every 8 gallons of water. With a 4,500 gallon pond, that means I'd need 562 teaspoons, or 12 cups of baking soda. That seems like a lot.

Thanks as always.
The formula I've seen (and always use) is one cup of baking soda per 1000 gals. of water, so for a pond of your size I'd use 4 cups. Dissolve the baking soda in a bucket of pond water & pour into an area of high circulation (I pour half of my solution into each of my two skimmers) Wait 24 hours (this should raise your kh by 1 drop), retest & repeat for as many days necessary to bring your kh up to the desired number.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you using liquid testing kits?

Seems your pond water may not have enough calcium to keep the pH from going over 8.3.

Copied this from another site since they said it much better than I can.

"Although baking soda is inexpensive and extremely effective at raising KH and preventing the pH from dropping, baking soda by itself will not prevent the pH from going above 8.3. This is usually not a problem, but in ponds that have not yet cycled (or that have had a major disruption to the filter) or in ponds with excessive algae problems, the pH can go up during the day and down at night. In these situations, it is necessary to add calcium chloride in addition to baking soda (but not at the same time – separate the additions by several hours). Baking soda will always prevent the pH from going below 8.3, but it can only prevent the pH from going above 8.3 if sufficient calcium is present in the water."

There is also a thread on this site about this. I'll see if I can find that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would not use that unless it is calcium chloride. If there is not enough calcium in the water, the pH will just jump up again.

You need to add enough calcium chloride to treat the entire pond. That will stop the pH from going over 8.3.

The last thing you want is your pH swinging up and down constantly.

When you have treated with calcium chloride, you can continue to raise the KH with baking soda.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I looked up the ingredients for pH down. There is no calcium in it. It may work to lower the pH, but it won't keep it stable. You need more KH for that.

I think that what you are doing with these products is treating the symptom, not the problem. Adding pH Up or pH down is like going to the doctor for a brain tumor and he gives you aspirin for your headache. It won't cure the tumor. You aren't curing the unlying problem that is causing these pH swings.

Your pond seems to lack the needed calcium that will keep it from going too high. That's an easy fix. Adding the calcium chloride will correct the basic problem and the cause. Adding baking soda will add buffer to keep the pH stable by raising the KH.

By the way, the article I posted is written by a chemist with many years of experience in that field, so he knows what he's talking about.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all.
Seems like I need to get calcium chloride (to lower and correct the pH) and baking soda for KH and pH.

What calcium chloride product would you recommend?

Reaction score
Country
United States
pH is still high (10) and KH is 60.
Time to head to the hardware store.

The link showed I should use 1 pound every 1000 gallons of calcium chloride. I have a 4,500 gallon pond. That would be 4 1/2 pounds. That seems too much.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pH won't come down without adding calcium.

I've never needed it so have never used it. I suspect it might be heavy, so 4 pounds may not be as much as it sounds.

You can always start with one pound and see if it helps.

Ask a Question