Koi suddenly died

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The simplest way of raising the GH of water is with Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate). This combination will keep ph swings to a minimum and the calcium and magnesium are good for your fish and plants.

Start with 3 tablespoons of each dissolved in a container of pond water before adding it to the pond. Slowly pour it around the perimeter. Allow to mix and retest GH. Repeat this process until you achieve a reading of 100 - 150 mg/L (ppm).

This amount should raise the Hardness in a 1,000 gallon pond about 5 ppm.

Not recommended to raise calcium by more than 20 ppm per 24 hours.

Swimming pool supplies 'calcium hardness increaser' is calcium chloride and is safe for fish.

Calcium chloride will only affect pH if the pH is above 8.3 and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) was used to raise the KH. This is because Calcium chloride precipitates out the baking soda, which was added to raise the KH (which could also raise the pH above 8.3), so the result is a stable 8.3 pH.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd be curious to know what your pH has been prior to this? Why would it drop into a dangerous range? Did you refill the pond recently?
large rain event can don it ,
plus 6 15 year old fish are probably in the neighborhood of ten pounds each that 60 pounds that's a good deal in 4000 gallons , but ph of 6 is really not great, and kh/gh at 40 or below is also harmful to fish great numbers would be 140. Like mentioned start adding regular old baking soda it will EVENTUALY raise the ph to around 8.5 if memory serves me and only to 8.5 no higher but your kh will continue to rise.
Once a pond looses on link that kept it successful it can be a house of cards and can fail quickly with devastating results .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Monday pH was 7.5 and the KH was 40.
I added a cup of baking soda that day and now today: pH is 10.0 and the KH is 60.
UGH!
your adding other than baking soda aree you using ph up" or anything else ? i don't believe its possible to get 10 ph with bakingsoda

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The simplest way of raising the GH of water is with Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate). This combination will keep ph swings to a minimum and the calcium and magnesium are good for your fish and plants.

Start with 3 tablespoons of each dissolved in a container of pond water before adding it to the pond. Slowly pour it around the perimeter. Allow to mix and retest GH. Repeat this process until you achieve a reading of 100 - 150 mg/L (ppm).

This amount should raise the Hardness in a 1,000 gallon pond about 5 ppm.

Not recommended to raise calcium by more than 20 ppm per 24 hours.

Swimming pool supplies 'calcium hardness increaser' is calcium chloride and is safe for fish.

Calcium chloride will only affect pH if the pH is above 8.3 and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) was used to raise the KH. This is because Calcium chloride precipitates out the baking soda, which was added to raise the KH (which could also raise the pH above 8.3), so the result is a stable 8.3 pH.
you go @cas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, so now I need to add calcium chloride (I got Fritz Aquatics PRO - Calcium Chloride anhydrous Bulk Reef Chemical), baking soda, and epsom salt (I have pond salt from Pondcare. It's old but I don't think salt ever expires)?

Rotate one a day?

I did baking soda Friday and plan to do calcium choride today.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is no need for salt. At one time that was recommended, but not anymore. These days salt is only used for certain problems, treating fish in a hospital tank or for a dip, never for an entire pond.

You can wait 12 hours between dosing with baking soda and dosing calcium chloride. But if doing each one every other day works for you, that should be fine.

Please let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very frustrating.
pH is 9.0 and KH is 5.0. No changes.

I add a cup of baking soda every day.
I ordered calcium chloride from Amazon and the shipping has been delayed. And I can't find it for sale anywhere on line (unless for wine making or crystals for the driveway) and my local pond shops don't carry it. Where do you all buy yours?

Thanks.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Did you check your local swimming pool suppliers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hardware stores sometimes carry it. It doesn't have to be labeled for ponds. As long as it's pure calcium chloride without any additives it's fine.

KH is 5 drops?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can get Poolife Calcium Plus which is CALCIUM CHLORIDE 90 - 95% SODIUM CHLORIDE 1 - 2% POTASSIUM CHLORIDE (KCL) 1 - 2% Magnesium Chloride 1 - 2%. Is this safe?

KH is 5 drops, going from blue to yellow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 4,500 gallon pond has been established for 16 years. I had 9 koi (6 at 15 years and 3 at 5 years). Last November one of the older koi suddenly died. No sign of ill health, nothing unusual on this body, no odd behavior. First time something like this happened.

Today, one of the 5 year olds suddenly died. Same thing, nothing unusual.

Does this happen? Any suggestions?

It's still very cold in Oregon, they are still hibernating, and the pond has the usual, annual string algae everywhere.

Thanks.
It happened again. I lost another koi this morning. He was fine yesterday (very active and eating like all the fish) and this morning I found him dead like this in the photo.
I tested the water and it's fine.
Three days ago, I put in the pond API POND ALGAEFIX (first time this year) and a week ago I added FRITZ ZYME POND 360 POND CLEANER.
I have fed them the same foods for years.

This is getting frustrating. Please help!
Thanks.

Attachments

• dead koi.jpg
    dead koi.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 8

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I never add chems to my pond, just won't do it! Too much risk involved, rather do things naturally using more plants and good bacteria that grows on it's own. Can't say tho that what you added is the cause of the death. Just don't know. 9 koi seems like a lot for that size of a pond. Don't koi need like 1000 gals each or something like that? I only have goldfish.
Sorry this is happening to you and the fish :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What tests did you do and what exactly were the results? Also did you use test strips or the liquid reagent tests?

Others have lost fish after using products for eliminating algae. Using chemicals to do that doesn't seem to be the best approach.

Ask a Question