koiguys 70 gal skippy style filter

Reaction score
Nice rig. I have pretty much the same set up. I'm using a Tetra HCP 3600 pump. But by looking at yours I think I'm gonna go w/ 1" 1/2 pvc pipe w/ 1" 1/4 blk flex (Sump Type). I wasn't thinking at the time and I used some left over pvc stock that was used to run 2 mini me filters which is 3/4" I think I'm really restricting the flow to the 100 gal stock tank. The owners manual says it will take up to 1" 1/2 pvc. Kudos to you on media you are using. I use the same. Inexpensive scotch brite pads from my local dollar store. $1.00 for ten. 5"x8"pads. My neighbor turned me onto cent. A/C filters he purchased from H.D. I think they were 2 ft x 4 ft.Green colored. On my next project I'd like to try those next.

Oh by the way that waterfall weir is awsome. What kind of mat'l did you use to fabricate it?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thanks for the kind words...sucess stories are good to read....yeah, you'll be glad you did if you switch to the 1&1/2" piping inside the filter...it allows more flow, less resistance and the water leaves the swirl pipes at a reduced pressure, and speed so debris can more readilly settle on the bottom of filter....the 3/4" pipes added force allow debris to remain suspended much longer i use 1&1/2" pipe on my basement ponds filter as well...as far as the furnace filters the green ones you speak of are o.k but the ones i use are latex and a bit finer....they should last pretty long, mine are still holding up good..they are 20"x30". pic in this thread....the weir is made from 1/2" polyethelene plastic same as the tank but thicker!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it is an air break...if for any reason your pump quits (dies, power outage unplugged..etc..) this will break the syphon and your filter wont backwash into your pond...cheaper than a checkvalve and wont stick open or closed or otherwise malfunction.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koiguy1969 said:
it is an air break...if for any reason your pump quits (dies, power outage unplugged..etc..) this will break the syphon and your filter wont backwash into your pond...cheaper than a checkvalve and wont stick open or closed or otherwise malfunction.

Thank you, I was wondering about that myself. Kind of knew but didn't and that cleared that question up for me as well,

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats also a good spot to add your beneficial bacteria as it will go directly to and slowly rise up thru the first choice of colonization...your filter media.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
as does mine..but that is a bonus not the reason for it...they do create a vaccuum and draw in air...but make an actual venturi and put it in its place and see the increase in aeration.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Do you have a diagram or post that shows how to make the venturi? Can it be used in place of the tee or does it need to be installed in a completely different location?

Reaction score
Koiguy, do you have any pics of the back of the falls? Is the land behind the falls on a slope or is the ground the same level as the pond? I am interested in how you covered and landscaped the backside of the falls.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
some of the dirt from my dig is the mound around it. i actually mounded the dirt, , chopping up the big chunks as i went, kept it moist, used a tamper to pack it as i piled it. and let it sit keeping it damp to settle and pack on its own... then dug the hole for my filter in it. its as solid as any other spot in the yard.

Reaction score
How difficult is it to cut the grated ceiling panel? I was trying to think of other grating that could be used that would be stiff enough.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nova, that ceiling grating is one of the best materials made for that. It's very inexpensive, holds up great, and supports a good amount of weight. The biggest drawback is it will get brittle over time. The way it is being used that shouldn't be a problem as you very rarely if ever need to actually move it around. I have used a fine tooth blade on my table saw and cut it too, just be sure and wear eye protection when cutting it, small pieces can break and fly, even when using just scissors.

Ask a Question