koiguys 70 gal skippy style filter

PS3

Reaction score
thanks for takeing a pic of the filter my lowes and home depot did not have them
my brother has a book with all this stuff for the heating and air warehouse
so i will get it from there

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I built some weirs and posted them in the classifieds....will make some more if needed or alittle more custom sized ones.

Reaction score
Ok - I thought you had to have your filter quite a bit higher that the pond surface (I am assuming that is a gravity filter) I want to build a filter as well, but I would love to put it like you did - as the waterfall. I love how you camoflauged everything with plants. Very nice setup!

Reaction score
Trying to redo some of my pond stuff this year. How did you attach the shower drain? is it screw together? I tried to build mini-skippies last year and couldn't attach the PVC shower drain with epoxy because the barrell liner was rounded. I couldn't hold it in place properly.

-James

Reaction score
I just made 2 55 gal drums and used the round shower drains. All u need is get a tube of pl roofing and flashin sealant at home depot. Mine has no leaks.

Reaction score
sealing it isn't my issue. my problem is that the mounting surface of the drain is flat and the barrell is rounded.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for the flush valve you'll have no problem on the stocktank...they have long flat sides, just use silicone on the parts and gaskets. for the outlet use a weir.... altho its easily done on the barrels too...heat the area on the barrel and flatten it..a.heat gun,torch, or even a hair dryer will work.

Reaction score
I have the 100 gal stock tank. Any approximates on how high or low things should go in the stock tank like how high should the t-pipe swirler be from the bottom, how high should the light grate be from the swirler etc. Building it as we speak....Thnxs

Reaction score
the pipe swirler needs some room to do it's thing and move the water around. It should be around 6" from the bottom at least. If you're using the rubber maid stock tank, you just rest your light grid on that rim that sticks out. You can see it in the photos of our stock tank builds on the DIY section. The little stand with legs that we build out of PVC is just as an extra support since the light grids can break easily due to them being a tad brittle.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my swirl bars are only 4" off the floor with a 1200 gph pump...but a higher flow may require a higher elevation of your bars...a lesser flow you could probably go lower. if your debris are settling, and not working their way up into your media i'd say your your high enough.

Reaction score
The swirler is currently 4" from the bottom of tank and the support bars are 12" high from the bottom of tank. I think I have to bring the support bars down 6" that will leave it about 6" from the bottom of tank. Off to find some media for it now, poly strapping, matala mats etc. What else can I use for good filtering stuff. I heard ebay is a good place to find these cheap. What goes in what order as far as media inside tank? Here's a couple pics of the new stock tank for you guys to see. Hope it works Lol Thnxs!

Attachments

• tanktest1.jpg
    tanktest1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 770
  • tanktest2.jpg
    tanktest2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 768
Reaction score
Just curious what is that black piece at the top??? Also, DrsFostersandSmiths.com has some great prices on the Matala mats. Just got mine in the mail today.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that black piece is an abs plastic street y adapter for handling solid waste... its installed as a simple venturi, tho far more effectve ones can eassily be built.

Ask a Question