Koi's strange behavior

Reaction score
The other day I noticed one of my koi jumping out of the water. His/her body came all the way out of the water,about three times in a row. Last night he did it again, and then started rubbing against the rocks around the perimeter of the pond. Now today, while feeding he was eating like a crazy fish. Fast and more than the others. He's not rubbing or bothering any other fish.
Any Idea what this could be? :dunno: It's the only fish acting like this.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Lot's of ideas. Do you want every possible cause? Easier to start with the basics. What are your water parmeters?

#1 on Dr Eric's top 10 list.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I knew someone was going to say,"Check your water parameters." LOL Everything tested good. You probably knew I'd say that. :razz: I'll test again today.

That's a good video. I definately don't test or change water often enough.

Thanks,
Mike

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had that happen during spawning .He jumped right out of the pond and i did not know it until it was to late .My fault I should have put the net on .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sounds like he's doing what a fish does. Swims and jumps, Water tests good. Those answers go together very well. Now if you would really like to seek a more detailed answer give more detail information. I know that sounds harsh and like I'm being a smart-... but seriously, to really be able to help we need to start somewhere. Water tests "Good" tells us almost nothing. What has been tested? PH, GH, KH, Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, heavy metals, oxygen? yes every single one and more can be tested. You are asking for help, we don't know the pond size, the water parameters, no pictures to refrence. The more you know, the more you can determine. That's just the begining, Once the water is tested, Do you have a microscope? Don't treat until you know with certainty what your treating. Most parasites ( Which can very easily be a possibility, but just one and then what kind of parasite out of the hundreds that are known!) A good microscope cost about the same as a nice two year old koi, Is the investment worth it? I say yes, knowing what is wrong and how to fix is the most challenging but also most rewarding part of the hobby. We all want to keep our swimming friends for many years. When I read a post "If" I can help I always try to. I can't help here as really it could be one of so many things and it could be, just a fish that's doing what he feels like doing. The more information you can provide, the more helpful others can be when trying to assist.

Ask a Question