landry basket filter

Reaction score
Dr. Case. I have read about your DIY fines filter with the laundry basket and pillow stuffing. I have never needed it...until now. Some questions for you or anyone who has sucessfully pulled this off.... should I put the pillow stuffing in a simple pillow case, mesh bag etc? How long should I keep it beneath the falls?
Thanks everyone.
BR

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
No pillow case no mesh bag just a laundry basket and fiber fill..let the water fall into the basket full of fiberfill on its way back to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
We have our homemade weir in our upper pond which is a pre-formed pond that falls to a sream to the main pond. Due to where the weir is the laundry basket did not work, We went to W*lmart and purchased a square file holder that has a bunch of large round holes in it. To ensure that the stuffing wouldn't float out through the top hubby used some more of his crab trap (the legftover pieces holding the foam media in the weir) to make a removeable lid whic he held down with cable ties. Right now it is not the prettiest site, as the hose had been cut to only reach where we had the weir originally. We put some pavers in the bottom of the pond to raise up the file folder crate so that the top was aove water and we set the weir on top of it so that the water spills directly into the filter.

I will try and snap a picture so you can see what we have done. THe green water is really bad this year. My plants barely have any leaves yet and our pond is in full sun the better part of the day.

PS3

Reaction score
i made my fine's filter out of a 5 gallon pale i drilled a hole at the top to stick the hose
in and i drilled a hole at the bottom for the water to drian back in to the pond.
then at the tops i use a terry cloth towl that i keep on the pale with clothes pins lol.
so the water is sucked up though a 400 gph pump in to the pale though the towel
and back in the water i have to clean the towel a few times i let it run for like 7
hours i get a huge black stain in the towel lol

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Big Red said:
Dr. Case. I have read about your DIY fines filter with the laundry basket and pillow stuffing. I have never needed it...until now. Some questions for you or anyone who has sucessfully pulled this off.... should I put the pillow stuffing in a simple pillow case, mesh bag etc? How long should I keep it beneath the falls?
Thanks everyone.
BR

I run this as a fourth 55 drum filter all through the spring & summer months
I put the stuffing in the basket in the filter 3$ worth of stuffing last a good 8 weeks
i could clean it but i throw it out
keep the basket above the water level to get the best usage

Attachments

• fines filter.jpg
    fines filter.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 318
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I bought more stuffing from walmart and some mesh bags with zippers. Put the stufifng in the bag and have been running the waterfall through it most of the afternoon and tonight. Started getting pretty dirty..so it's working. Thanks everyone. Will keep everyone in the loop and hopefully post some pics.
BR

PS3

Reaction score
here is a pic of my fines filter runing today

Attachments

• fines filter 001.jpg
    fines filter 001.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 285
  • fines filter 002.jpg
    fines filter 002.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 294
Reaction score
Awesome. Great idea.

I bought a ton of the stuffing and a bunch of bags I could hold it in and hold under the waterfall. Your setup, PS3, is much better and I am going to emulate it by putting the bags with stuffing inside a bucket as you did and pumping water through it.

Good stuff. I continue to be amazed by everyones creativity!
BR

Reaction score
I have used the laundry basket with pillow stuffing, in fact it is under the falls right now. It work awesome. I was truly amazed at how well it worked.

PS3

Reaction score
big red here are 2 more pics of the bucket

Attachments

• fine bucket 001.jpg
    fine bucket 001.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 274
  • fine bucket 002.jpg
    fine bucket 002.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
Thanks! Set up a 5 gallon bucket filled with pillow stuffing covered with netting. Running a hose from pump at bottom of pond into it. Just set it up this afternoon. Will take a pic and post it tomorrow. Thanks for the follow up.
BR

Ask a Question