leaf rollers

rrs

Reaction score
Pond is 2 years old. Several aquatic plants including Cannas. Cannas are subject to Leaf Rollers - a worm type bug which fastens the emerging leaves with a silk like substance. When the silk is cut or broken, there may be a worm type thing in the leaf, or, it may already have progressed to some other form (?).

Does anyone know of a chemical (or other treatment), which will kill the leaf roller but not kill the fish???

Reaction score
Is it possble to take the plant out treat it and then quarantine it for a bit longer then replace it in your pond? Just a thought bc that is probably what I would do.....

rrs

Reaction score
It turns out that BT and specifically BTk is effective to control all types of caterpillars and is also safe with fish. Tested by several universities and the EPA.

I have used it several times and the problem seems to be resolved....and no dead fish so far.

BT is available in farm feed stores for about $10. The guy uho sold it to me said that he uses it in a goldfish pond and it controls mosquitos....I'm not sure I believe that since the technical data says that BTk (Thuride) is very specific to the caterpillar family.

Thanks for your interest.

rrs

Ask a Question