Leak After Hard Freeze?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Building a waterfall is an art and usually needs to be rebuilt a couple times before you get it right. The liner underneath is the most important part and needs to be shaped and pitched correctly.
Think of it like this...the rocks on the waterfall are there to just to hide the liner. The liner has to be concave shaped so any water that gets between or around the rocks can only return to the pond via a properly shaped liner.
The problem I had was that I underestimated the height needed on the sides of the waterfall, especially at the top where the filter weir empties. As the waterfall "falls" and gets closer to the pond, the angle becomes steeper, resulting in higher walls, so less chance of leaks.
The other thing that comes to mind is your skimmer. Is it possible it froze and cracked? Is it within the pond or partially in/out of the water?
I suppose it's possible that the skimmer box did freeze and crack. I'll have to check that. Most of the plastic box is buried outside the pond with only a small opening at pond level for water entry.

I guess if I turn off the pump and put in an air stone until warmer weather, I'll at least be able to see if it's the pond itself that has the leak.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you solve this poroblem? I had the same one but it turned out that the joint between the liner for the waterfall and the liner for the pond had failed during the freeze. I think it was exposed to the cold air and the water froze around it since the waterfall was turned off

Ask a Question