Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m a new member to this forum and my name is May. I have a koi pond with six koi which I bought eight years ago. It was my husbands hobby and within months of him dying his fish died within 2 to 3 weeks. I had water tested and they couldn’t find why. These fish I bought to replace for grandchildren and are still going strong . I have a leak at side of water fall due to layout of stones
. This has appeared after my son cleaned the pump and flow of water running faster. Could anyone recommend a resin to use to join one or two of stones to stop where leak is.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome May! I'm sorry to hear you lost your husband. Do you know how many gallons your pond holds?

You don't stop a leak by joining rocks together. You can use pond foam to redirect the flow of water , which might help. The foam actually goes behind and between the rocks. It's not waterproof though, so if you have water that's going where it shouldn't you need to address that. Pond foam is really designed to keep the water flowing over the front of the rock instead of behind and between, if that makes sense. Even if the water is getting behind rocks though, you should have liner behind the rocks that keeps the water from actually leaving the pond. If the edge gets too low though, the water can flow over it. Maybe that's what's happening with your waterfall.

Can you post a picture of your pond and especially the area where you believe the water is escaping the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thankyou, I have taken two photos and hope I have attached ok .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can see from the photo it's not very large. I know you said you have koi and I'm sure you are very fond of them, but please be aware that koi need large volumes of water... this small pond will quickly become toxic for them. This may be the reason why you lost the first batch of fish.

Anyway - ask your son if he knows if there is actually liner under the waterfall. it's hard to tell from the picture. The way it's built it almost looks more like a watercourse - like a plastic preformed waterfall - than a liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry for your loss.

Agree with above, you should stick with goldfish.

If part of the leak is due to increased water flow, put a t on the line and direct some of the flow back into the pond.

Nice looking pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thankyou for your response but pond quite big and deep. Koi that belong to my husband were over thirty years old and these are eight years old. Other than getting rid of pond and fish I’m at a loss. I’m on a pension and trying to deal with a situation I’m in at the moment and suggesting I keep to goldfish isn’t very helpful.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! That is a cute little pond❣️

Agree with above comments. You need to know what the liner is and how it’s constructed before you can fix it. What makes you think it is leaking in the first place? A lot of times, leaks turn out to be either a redirection of the water, or due to evaporation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was there when my husband did it. He took it deeper that the one before and it was laid on sand and then he he laid the slate and cemented it in place. The waterfall was a plastic one bought from nottcutts and he put extra stones at sides. It’s really not that small maybe the way I’ve taken the photo. It definitely is leaking and water going around surrounding area where I have slate stones. I’m afraid at this stage water level will go to low.. thankyou for your reply.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome fly.gif
@Maimax
So sorry on your husband passing and then all his fish :(
If that pond is 6200 liters it converts to about 1,600 U.S gals but it does not look that big. Take a tape measure and measure the length and the width and depth of it if you could and we can determine pretty much the exact volume of water. From the photo it just does not look very big.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 160436@Maimax
So sorry on your husband passing and then all his fish :(
If that pond is 6200 liters it converts to about 1,600 U.S gals but it does not look that big. Take a tape measure and measure the length and the width and depth of it if you could and we can determine pretty much the exact volume of water. From the photo it just does not look very big.
Hi JD, it’s very deep and not as small as it looks. I will have to measure another day as it’s dark here now. I will post another photo which may give you a better idea. I’m pretty sure it’s the water fall. I’m trying to work out my options.

Ask a Question