Evaporation, leak or low edge?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I think I refilled the pond about 8-9 days ago, or so. I am not sure whether I have a leak, or a low edge, or just simple evaporation. I've lost about 2-3 inches since. Pond is not in full sun, after about 2 pm its in full shade. Is this normal evaporation or do I assume the worst?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For my pond, that would be normal evaporation at this time of the year.

The size of the pond, surface area, depth, number and size of plants in it, are all factors that can contribute to evaporation. Then there are factors like weather conditions such as air temperature and wind. So it's difficult to make a blanket statement that this is normal for all ponds.

Did you manage to solve your problem with the stream? Are you still losing water there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
For my pond, that would be normal evaporation at this time of the year.

The size of the pond, surface area, depth, number and size of plants in it, are all factors that can contribute to evaporation. Then there are factors like weather conditions such as air temperature and wind. So it's difficult to make a blanket statement that this is normal for all ponds.

Did you manage to solve your problem with the stream? Are you still losing water there?
No, that's gone. I removed it a month ago. Didn't do it right so I removed it, overlapping properly would have required me to remove gravel from that area where it spills into the pond, way I was doing it I was overlapping directly on gravel, and that seemed to cause capillary action, and I had not the intention to do that since the liner is PVC and I'm on thin ice anyways, no geotextile used whatsoever when I built it, which is a great mistake especially because this is pvc.

Pond is about 1000g, probably less due to gravel. I've measured it just now again, about 2 inches of water loss. Could just be evaporation, I have around 6-7 plants, 4 sweet flags, water lily, water fringe, chameleon plant, 2x mini horsetail, and one groundcover type. Windy days, 25-31c weather.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wind evaporates water also and warm temps w/it. Watch it and see exactly how long it takes to lower in different kinds of weather. On cool cloudy days it should not be evaporating as much. If it's always the same time for lowering the water line then you may have some kind of leakage due to low spots, plant suckage or hopefully not a hole. Liner folds can suck water out also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You will get to know what's normal for your own pond - the number of inches lost between one pond and another is meaningless because of the many variables that exist. Take comfort in the knowledge that everyone ASSUMES leak; most often it is not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
You will get to know what's normal for your own pond - the number of inches lost between one pond and another is meaningless because of the many variables that exist. Take comfort in the knowledge that everyone ASSUMES leak; most often it is not.
I assume it's a leak because when I was building the stream I was walking on the edge of the pond where gravel is, though there's a lot of gravel so it may not pierce the liner, so that's why I'm a bit worried. Taking a look at old pictures in May it may be fine though.

Would be hell of a lot easier to know if there wasn't so much gravel and rock in there (that I put in myself). Next time I rebuild the pond I think it's mostly gonna be medium sized rock, and no gravel, but next time I hope will be the last time I build it in next 5 years. If there's a leak I just hope it stops at a certain point so I can wait it out till spring to rebuild.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Been almost a week, dropped a little bit more, but it seems either evaporation or just a leak near the top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is your pond 20x20 feet or is the pond a preformed 300 gallon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
It seems to be a leak, on one side of the pond. Stopped dropping off about when I made the post and lines up with pictures from June/May. Might be able to fix it, but hard to find the source...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have any plants in the pond that could be wicking the water out? Are there any garden flowers, shrubs etc. that could be 'drinking' your pond water? The reason I ask is because I had a water loss problem this spring and discovered that the loss of water was from moss that grew over the side of the pond and was siphoning water out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
iF your pond dropped a BIT over a week it sounds like you do not have a leak leaks are generally i lost an inch in a hour not in a week

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
After some time of observing, I do have a leak, I lose about probably 9 inches of water with it, I think it has stopped now but it all happened in matter of days, not that big of a deal I guess since it's a decently sized pond so fish are not in danger at all. Come spring I'm gonna redo the pond again, but much much less gravel this time, and expand it a bit in depth and width. More big rocks, less gravel. Fish are pretty healthy, algae is now growing as I removed the UV filter two months ago, can't believe how much difference it makes, UV basically killed all algae, there was just clear rocks and gravel before, now there's a ton of algae but winter's coming and better for all those nutrients to be sucked up by something, than nothing.

Note to self is to be careful about use of gravel when it comes to PVC liners, they suck. They are durable decent amount, but I had a ton of steep parts, didn't dig it out properly due to a young tree that is on the edge of the pond which I plan to remove next spring. And I'm gonna be using geotextile to protect the PVC from rocks and gravel. And I think I'll be adding a bog filter then as well and doing away with this commercial one, although the pump with it I'll be still using which seems sufficient.

I am disappointed that where I live there is no EPDM liners for pond, big shame, it's interesting to me there are still companies advertising PVC as pond worthy, I guess it is but not for the kind of natural look everyone wants. Ton of time til spring, but I may be out of luck, maybe I can get some relatives from the EU to get me the liner but not sure how heavy it is.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
After some time of observing, I do have a leak, I lose about probably 9 inches of water with it, I think it has stopped now but it all happened in matter of days, not that big of a deal I guess since it's a decently sized pond so fish are not in danger at all. Come spring I'm gonna redo the pond again, but much much less gravel this time, and expand it a bit in depth and width. More big rocks, less gravel. Fish are pretty healthy, algae is now growing as I removed the UV filter two months ago, can't believe how much difference it makes, UV basically killed all algae, there was just clear rocks and gravel before, now there's a ton of algae but winter's coming and better for all those nutrients to be sucked up by something, than nothing.

Note to self is to be careful about use of gravel when it comes to PVC liners, they suck. They are durable decent amount, but I had a ton of steep parts, didn't dig it out properly due to a young tree that is on the edge of the pond which I plan to remove next spring. And I'm gonna be using geotextile to protect the PVC from rocks and gravel. And I think I'll be adding a bog filter then as well and doing away with this commercial one, although the pump with it I'll be still using which seems sufficient.

I am disappointed that where I live there is no EPDM liners for pond, big shame, it's interesting to me there are still companies advertising PVC as pond worthy, I guess it is but not for the kind of natural look everyone wants. Ton of time til spring, but I may be out of luck, maybe I can get some relatives from the EU to get me the liner but not sure how heavy it is.
Not sure where you live but you could try finding EPDM liner at irrigation companies or roofing companies as that is where I got my liners. It is the same stuff and all you do when you get it is lay it out on the ground and hose off the powder they put on it so it does not stick to itself or whatever. I have used it for 20 yrs. Perhaps you will find some there at those places if they use that type of material in your area.

Ask a Question