Nick83

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Reaction score
Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Has anyone tried the water plant collection you can purchase at Lowe's or probably another hardware store.

My wife and I had to go to Lowe's the other day and saw they had boxes of random aquatic pond lilies and I just couldn't pass them up so I grabbed the box and in the cart it went. I got the box with Nymphaea Nero and Venusta Pink. The third plant is the Iris ensata royal banner. I'm going to use the Iris in my bog of course.
It's been three days since I put them in a stock tank and they seem to be doing very well. The pads on both plants have unrolled and stretched out. The Iris is perking up, also. View attachment 108495

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have seen those and have always wondered how viable they would - looks like you got some winners!

I'm so jealous of you living in Weeki Watchee - we love to kayak there! Beautiful place! Have you posted pond pics? I would love to see your pond!

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 for $20 I couldn't not try them out.

I love living here, it's beautiful all around. I haven't been on the river in a while but I'm hoping to get out there this summer. We went to homosassa springs State Park last week and caught a glimpse of a gator basking in the sun and so many turtles.

Here's my pond thread with all the pics and videos. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-deck-pond-from-the-start.22279/

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My Lilly is from Menards. It was in a box. You take the pot out of the box and drop into the pond. A while later it was blooming.
I repotted in fall and it looks good so far

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Got mine in trade from another pond owner .I started a little garden center pond squad ,That is what I call it .We trade plants we get rid of fish and we talk about good and bad with our ponds .Plus we are open to new want to be ponds and new pond owners .

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
My Lilly is from Menards. It was in a box. You take the pot out of the box and drop into the pond. A while later it was blooming.
I repotted in fall and it looks good so far

That's excellent, I I'm going to put mine in pots soon as soon as I get the proper soil mixture.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Bummer for me, my lilies in a box from Lowes, were duds :(

That really stinks, mine seem to be getting larger every day. The Iris is slow growing but is still alive. The price of these plants are the only reason I gave them a try. I paid $80 for 2 Lily's but they came freshly potted and fertilized and grown from the nursery.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Got mine in trade from another pond owner .I started a little garden center pond squad ,That is what I call it .We trade plants we get rid of fish and we talk about good and bad with our ponds .Plus we are open to new want to be ponds and new pond owners .

That's pretty neat, I would love to be a part of a local group like that. I never thought about doing that or looked for a pond garden group. I don't see many homes with water gardens or ponds near me in my area.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
IMAG2459.jpg
IMAG2438.jpg
quite a difference from Feb 24 to Feb 28.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never thought there were any in the rural area I lived in but there is a garden center here that sells a few water plants and they took my name and next thing I knew I was running a little pond group and it went from 6 people and now up to 27 people .I had people there the day I went there asking me questions and garden center had me help them and it just took off .We have the meetings at the garden center .I was new here from NJ and I really think it helps the garden center also because word of mouth means a lot .

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
@sissy That's really cool! I'm no expert but always looking to pick people's brains and or share experiences. I'm always second guessing myself or researching online but sometimes it's just nice to get information from someone who is standing in front of me.

I started a 3 nymphaea seeds I bought off Amazon to see if I could actually grow a night blooming Lily. Two of the three have sprouted and looking promising. I started them in some coconut fiber I had sitting around.
IMAG2484.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG2480.jpg
    IMAG2480.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 172
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
The ones I got from Lowes were duds as well.

Ask a Question