Liner Creases

Reaction score
I know that this may have been asked before, but does anyone have any tricks to alleviate creasing of the liner when putting it in to the excavation?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nope just tuck and fold and hope for the best .I wish they made a liner that just would form to the hole you make .Gosh need an inventor to figure it out

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Did someone ask for a mad inventor? My suggestion would be a spray on rubber liner. They already have the technology to do it. Just no one has applied it (no pun intended) to ponds.
sissy said:
nope just tuck and fold and hope for the best .I wish they made a liner that just would form to the hole you make .Gosh need an inventor to figure it out

Reaction score
sissy said:
There is a company in the UK that will make a welded box liner to fit the pond if you give them the exact dimensions of your pond. They have a 6-8 week waiting list but really these are viable for rectangular or square ponds. Obviously the cost is more expensive than buying a flat liner. I forget the company name now though.

Reaction score
JohnHuff said:
Did someone ask for a mad inventor? My suggestion would be a spray on rubber liner. They already have the technology to do it. Just no one has applied it (no pun intended) to ponds.
Lots of latex carpet adhesive LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a preformed and have taken lots of them out and last one was a 500 gallon one and freeze and thaw lifted and shifted it over the years and it was 3 ft deep .Took mine out for the same reason always unlevel

Reaction score
For small ponds I just muscle it. To reduce the work I mark the mid point on at least one edge of the liner (yellow crayon works good) and I mark the mid point on the wall that liner side will go. When I set the liner I line up those two marks first and anchor the liner there. The rest of the liner is kind of forced to be right.

For large ponds, like where it takes more than one person to carry the liner, the liner can be laid out on a lawn or whatever, and folded up so the bundle can be placed in the exact center of the pond and then just unfolded. The extra effort up front makes for an easier job overall.

Folds are what they are. You can screw around some, but for oval type ponds doesn't seem to matter much. I generally mortar rocks over the liner because I don't like the look of bare liner or folds. But that's just me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My liner was 25x30 and I did it myself so it can be done just expect to get under the liner at first inside the pond and not only did it once but did it twice after a new neighbors big dog slit my liner in several places trying to get out .45 mil also and not easy either .I wrestled with that thing for 4 hours to get in and then another 6 or 7 hours to fold and refold the wrinkles .Then added some water and folded some more .Then added some water and folded again .Settled over 6 inches the first month then another 4 or 5 the next month and then settled some more .I kept marking the liner and every time I added more water the weight made it settle more .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I tried to leave liner folds where I thought some settling would take place.
Some of them you just can't do anything about it. I would rather have a loose liner with folds than a tight liner with some stress points.

Reaction score
The liner I have is 6m x 6m, and even though the base is perfectly flat, even when pressed flat, there are still creases showing up on the base!

Reaction score
sissy said:
they will and as you put water in you work on them .
That's what I did do. Stretched it and pushed it flat using bare feet as it was filling up. Going to use boulders next time to keep the base flat (as well as to hide the pumps & piping) when I fill it up for the actual pond itself rather than the test fill.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You never want your pump on the bottom ,if you get a leak some where you could drain your pond .Mine is hanging 2 ft above the bottom .I used my barefeet easier to push the liner .If you use bolders to hold the liner you will be better off putting a piece of liner under the so as to not stress the liner under them .

Ask a Question