Liner hiding advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
@poconojoe - I think @TallGrassBigSky means for a new pond dig.

Your first shelf should be deep enough and wide enough so a rock can sit on it and be 1/2 - 1/3 under water. How deep and wide that shelf is will depend mainly on how big your rocks are. The liner then is under the rock and you bring it up BEHIND the rock (on the land side, if that isn't clear) and then you roll and tuck it behind the rock, backfilling it with dirt, mulch, gravel, etc. You don't need to have a series of shelves in a pond - your marginal plants won't grow beyond the depth of that first shelf.

Here's a great series that does a super job of explaining the whole process:

I seriously recommend you - or anyone planning a DIY pond build watch the entire series. He's a great teacher! It'll be a bit of time invested, but will save you LOTS of time and aggravation fixing mistakes on the other end.

Great. Thank you both for the information.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe the OP was asking about an existing pond.
GBBUDD had a good idea to hide the liner. Use that black waterfall spray on foam and before it drys stick some small rocks and sand into it. Of course the liner has to be clean and dry before you use the foam.

The OP was but then I piped in with a question and I’m starting from scratch. Sorry for the confusion.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@TallGrassBigSky sorry I just saw your post. Sounds like you have got your answer and I just dug out my pond starting w/straight down sides and reached the depth I wanted and worked my way upwards building the lower shelves 1st and then the upper short rock shelf above that lower one. I suppose one could do it the opposite way also. All by hand and was quite easy in our part sandy soil but then that was almost 20 yrs ago! Wow, time flies for us crazy ponderers :wacky:

Ask a Question