Liner hiding advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I need some advice on how to hide some liner. Have one spot in the pond where the edge was probably at 90 degrees but has kinda slopes off at an angle and is now hard to hide with rocks. Any ideas on how to hide? In the pic the rocks you see used to kind of hang over the edge and mostly hide the liner, but now they’d slide into the pond if I did that. The water is low right now too so the problem isn’t always as bad as it looks now. I was thinking maybe some type of hanging basket that’s flexible with some plants in it? Not sure how I’d find something like that. I’m open to ideas if anyone has any!
AF3DFE77-C2BF-4AA6-BDC7-AA8239439102.jpeg
F6D3BB40-6321-4868-980B-BA441116B8D3.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Too bad when you installed your liner you didn't make a small step/shelf around the top of your pond. That way you could put rocks down on the step in the water and put more rocks overlapping on top around the edge. See the rocks on the shelf below and the rocks above? You could do that now if you have enough liner over lapping under those rocks. But if you cut it off too short then nope. Looks like this when done:

IMG_6050.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Definitely plants hanging over rocks...I can't see any other way considering the edge unless you build shelves around the edge and then you will be able to add more rocks to cover the liner....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Too bad when you installed your liner you didn't make a small step/shelf around the top of your pond. That way you could put rocks down on the step in the water and put more rocks overlapping on top around the edge. See the rocks on the shelf below and the rocks above? You could do that now if you have enough liner over lapping under those rocks. But if you cut it off too short then nope. Looks like this when done:

View attachment 128654
Just read your advice J.W...That is exactly what I was thinking....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

View attachment 128654
I built shelves around about half the pond. I wish I would have taken longer and done a better job, but I foolishly hand dug every ounce of this in 90-100 degree weather with high humidity. Got lazy and cheap and wanted to be done with that part. I often consider shutting it down and redoing parts of the pond and adding a bog (3rd year now and maybe 1 month of clear water). I have creeping Jenny on another side that does really well so maybe adding that there as others have said will work. I thought I remember reading about some posters hanging some kind of flexible or cloth pot/container on the edges of their pond but couldn’t find it via the search function.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I did what I think JW is describing. And I've done some of that after the pond was built.
Lift up the liner and create a shelf just a little below the water surface. Put the liner back and lay flat stones on top. Basically the stones will now be half cover with water. Then lay more flat stones on top of those stepped back away from the pond. No big deal. If you dont have enough liner to do this, shove some soil in there. Basically shrinking the pond a slight bit. Hope this makes sense.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you may be thinking about making pots for pond plants out of screen material - I think that was @sissy who made that technique famous.

You could also use Rock on a Roll - pretty much a product that was made for exactly your situation.

However, my #1 choice would be to do what @poconojoe suggested - it wouldn't be that hard to fix that one spot with a bit of digging and then you'd be happy with it forever. (Well, I'm not guaranteeing forever happiness, but you know what I mean!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think you may be thinking about making pots for pond plants out of screen material - I think that was @sissy who made that technique famous.

You could also use Rock on a Roll - pretty much a product that was made for exactly your situation.

However, my #1 choice would be to do what @poconojoe suggested - it wouldn't be that hard to fix that one spot with a bit of digging and then you'd be happy with it forever. (Well, I'm not guaranteeing forever happiness, but you know what I mean!)
Happy forever, I’m holding you to it! And yes, pots out of screen material, that’s it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
An other trick i have used is to drain the water down a little and spray spray foam directly on the rubbe.r once it starts to se you can add stone to the area using the foam as a shelf stop to hold the gravel

Reaction score
Country
United States

View attachment 128654

I’m a total newbie. Can you explain in further detail how you build this rock shelf?

For example, I want my first plant shelf to be 12 inches deep. So, should I first dig out a shallow rock shelf and then dig 12” down for my first plant shelf, 12” again for my second plant shelf, 12-24” for the bottom of the pond?

Or, do I dig all the plant shelves first and THEN dig outside the marked perimeter of my pond to create the rock shelf?

How deep and wide do you dig the rock shelf?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You lift your liner, dig a shallow (rock) shelf. It only has to be deep enough so the water covers the liner. Maybe 2 inches. Then lay flat rocks on the new rock shelf. The rocks will be partially submerged and the liner will be hidden. Then lay more flat rocks stepped back half on those rocks and half on the ground.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@poconojoe - I think @TallGrassBigSky means for a new pond dig.

Your first shelf should be deep enough and wide enough so a rock can sit on it and be 1/2 - 1/3 under water. How deep and wide that shelf is will depend mainly on how big your rocks are. The liner then is under the rock and you bring it up BEHIND the rock (on the land side, if that isn't clear) and then you roll and tuck it behind the rock, backfilling it with dirt, mulch, gravel, etc. You don't need to have a series of shelves in a pond - your marginal plants won't grow beyond the depth of that first shelf.

Here's a great series that does a super job of explaining the whole process:

I seriously recommend you - or anyone planning a DIY pond build watch the entire series. He's a great teacher! It'll be a bit of time invested, but will save you LOTS of time and aggravation fixing mistakes on the other end.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I believe the OP was asking about an existing pond.
GBBUDD had a good idea to hide the liner. Use that black waterfall spray on foam and before it drys stick some small rocks and sand into it. Of course the liner has to be clean and dry before you use the foam.

Ask a Question