Liner thickness?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum but I am just beginning my new 2000-2500 gallon pond build and I wanted to know what liner thickness you guys would go for in my situation. This pond is going to be 8x12 foot and a depth of 36-42 inches. I am going 2 feet above ground with a wooden construction that I have based off some other similar ponds I have seen online, and then 16 inches below ground. This pond is an outdoor pond in the hot sun however we most likely will be installing some sort of shade to cover it during the hot summer months where it can get 100 degrees out.

I was wondering what thickness liner you all would go with? I bought a 20 mil 15x20 pond liner, but that was when we planned on the pond being a bit smaller. I dont have anything under the liner but we dont have any rocks and its pretty gentle dirt. However we do have some slight roots.

Should I upgrade the liner before I begin putting it in or should I just go with the 20 mil I already have. This link is for the liner btw https://a.co/d/aTSB1uq Also any other tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

AP1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a newbie too, but what I will say is that I researched things quite a bit and decided that I was not comfortable with 20 mil. It costs a lot more, but 45 mil EPDM really is the standard and is what I went with (and my pond is only about 300 gallons). I'm guessing that cost is an issue (as it was for me), but perhaps ask yourself how you would feel if you did all the work to finish the pond and it then soon sprang a leak? If cost is an issue, perhaps you could downsize the pond to a point where you could afford EPDM?

I do hope that others chime in as well--again, I am a newbie.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Size of pond has zero bearing on the thickness of your liner. As @AP1 noted - the only reason to NOT use 45 mil is to save money, and the very last thing you want to try to save money on is the first thing that goes in the pond. And honestly pond liner isn't that expensive to begin with. I

Every single person who has ever built their own pond has experienced the first year stress of "do I have a leak?" Why? Because the idea of taking the whole pond apart to replace the liner is overwhelming. 45 mil is industry standard for a reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would not advise you to skimp on the cost of the liner. 45 ml with fabric underlayment is the way to go. You would not want to have to remove everything to replace a cheap liner. It's the one thing you don't want to skimp on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I will add this unpopular opinion - if you have to skimp on the cost of liner, then you probably can't afford a pond. While I am the first one who looks for ways to not overspend, a pond is by its very nature a luxury item and you will find yourself spending money on it as long as you own it, as is true with most hobbies.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

NEVER SKIMP ON YOUR LINER — IT’S YOUR SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT INVESTMENT!

45 mil, rubber. Biggest INITIAL financial investment! Best LONG-TERM investment!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Size of pond has zero bearing on the thickness of your liner. As @AP1 noted - the only reason to NOT use 45 mil is to save money, and the very last thing you want to try to save money on is the first thing that goes in the pond. And honestly pond liner isn't that expensive to begin with. I

Every single person who has ever built their own pond has experienced the first year stress of "do I have a leak?" Why? Because the idea of taking the whole pond apart to replace the liner is overwhelming. 45 mil is industry standard for a reason.
While I agree that it is not something to try to save money on. This is a pond I'm helping install at my parents house. And I wouldn't describe a $400 pond liner as cheap and its very difficult to justify to my parents. Although maybe any of you have a good source to buy it from? I was looking at Amazon, and there are some options; however most start at $400+, perhaps it can be found cheaper? If so, that would be extremely helpful. I was also hoping to get this pond set up by this Friday but I am quite sure that wont happen by then, which is ok.

Also what size liner would you all get? I am thinking 15x20 or 20x20.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomewagon.gif
@Cheems
45 mil If you have a roofing company nearby you can buy the same stuff off their rolls. That's where I bought my first one. 2nd pond I went to an irrigation company and got a good price there also. This was many, many yrs ago and prices I'm sure have risen. Might want to check and compare tho.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You want to install a 2500 gallon pond by this Friday? I really feel like you need to take a step back and do some reading. Otherwise I fear this won't end well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum but I am just beginning my new 2000-2500 gallon pond build and I wanted to know what liner thickness you guys would go for in my situation. This pond is going to be 8x12 foot and a depth of 36-42 inches. I am going 2 feet above ground with a wooden construction that I have based off some other similar ponds I have seen online, and then 16 inches below ground. This pond is an outdoor pond in the hot sun however we most likely will be installing some sort of shade to cover it during the hot summer months where it can get 100 degrees out.

I was wondering what thickness liner you all would go with? I bought a 20 mil 15x20 pond liner, but that was when we planned on the pond being a bit smaller. I dont have anything under the liner but we dont have any rocks and its pretty gentle dirt. However we do have some slight roots.

Should I upgrade the liner before I begin putting it in or should I just go with the 20 mil I already have. This link is for the liner btw https://a.co/d/aTSB1uq Also any other tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
"It can provide service up to 10 years" . WHY EVEN CONTEMPLATE THIS AS A LINER IT'S ONLY GOOD FOR TEN YEARS/? THATS HORID aND A SECOND NOTE THEY MAKE IS THEY COMPAIR THEM SELVES TO PVC SHEETING AND THAT TOO IS NOT GREAT
45 MIL epdm IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD

Reaction score
Country
United States
You want to install a 2500 gallon pond by this Friday? I really feel like you need to take a step back and do some reading. Otherwise I fear this won't end well.
No, I want to FINISH a 2500 gallon pond by this friday. Sorry I realized I said I was just beginning in my original post, however I meant I was just beginning to install the liner and finish it up. Its already dug and the frame is buillt. There is only a few last steps. Plus I didnt say this was a goal to finish this by Friday, I said I was HOPING to. I have done quite a bit of research and have been planning this for the past 2 years. The last few things I have to do is set the frame in place and then apply the liner. I wanted to check online to make sure the liner would work and I see it will not. I dont mind waiting longer as this has been a very long project and I want to make sure its done right.
"It can provide service up to 10 years" . WHY EVEN CONTEMPLATE THIS AS A LINER IT'S ONLY GOOD FOR TEN YEARS/? THATS HORID aND A SECOND NOTE THEY MAKE IS THEY COMPAIR THEM SELVES TO PVC SHEETING AND THAT TOO IS NOT GREAT
45 MIL epdm IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD
Yeah agreed, I only bought this liner because I was originally going to be using it in a much smaller more temporary pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 163602@Cheems
45 mil If you have a roofing company nearby you can buy the same stuff off their rolls. That's where I bought my first one. 2nd pond I went to an irrigation company and got a good price there also. This was many, many yrs ago and prices I'm sure have risen. Might want to check and compare tho.
Thank you! Yeah I have compared a few options, and I was able to find a 45 mil EDPM liner on amazon for $260 that is 15x20 and I think this should work well. I imagine this is probably similar to the best pricing I will get but I should definitely check before I commit to it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you! Yeah I have compared a few options, and I was able to find a 45 mil EDPM liner on amazon for $260 that is 15x20 and I think this should work well. I imagine this is probably similar to the best pricing I will get but I should definitely check before I commit to it.
TRY JUSTLINERS.COM

Reaction score
Country
United States
TRY JUSTLINERS.COM
I am seeing they have a EDPM 45 mil 15x20 liner for $291 which seems pretty comparable to what I found which is very nice. I am going to compare the one I found on amazon. This is the link to the one I found on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKNZKRWK/ref=twister_B0CL7V15VN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also does anyone have any ideas on what type of underlayment I should go with? I have realized I probably should go with a underlayment as well and would simple weed barrier work? I have seen quite a few different people use different solutions such as simple tarps, weed barrier, and expensive pond underlayment.

Ask a Question