Little giant external pump help....newbie!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Max you could also post it here, if you decide to sale it, there might be someone looking for a pump.

Try like Gordy says, have part just go back into your pond, you might want it to go into 2 inch or larger piping, that might cause the water to come out with less force. Use a ball valve to be able to slow the flow to your filter. Make one wonderful waterfall, you would have a massive amount of water coming down the waterfall!

Reaction score
^ thank for the offer, but i just end up buying a ball valve and called it a day. now im just not sure how much i should close the valve. i guess it will be trial and error on my end. thanks for the help people!

Reaction score
^ thank for the offer, but i just end up buying a ball valve and called it a day. now im just not sure how much i should close the valve. i guess it will be trial and error on my end. thanks for the help people!

Hey Max,

You are welcome to all the help or suggestions that I can give you. For whatever they may be worth to you. I am fresh and green when it comes to "ponds", but I have a long history with bait tanks, not professionally or commercially speaking, mind you, but I do better than most. I've been keeping bait for fishing for 30 years and more out at my cabin. I was researching bait tanks and started running into pond ideas. I found this forum and now I am getting addicted to the "pond-bug"! LOL!

When I was a kid, I enjoyed playing in the mud and the creeks and rivers and natural ponds.

Now I have a legitimate excuse to do the same as an adult! Ha Ha!

Well, anyway, you can probably understand me without too much explanation, especially if you can remember being a young kid playing in mudholes and creeks yourself. It is good to know you and I hope you have a lot of fun with your pond hobby.

Gordy (Catfishnut)

Reaction score
How about putting a tee in the outlet AND inlet and join the two together in a loop? Recirculate as much water as you want in the loop, and the remainder goes back to the fishpond. That'll save your pump from having to push through so much pressure throttling it down so much.

You would need only one valve, but I don't know for sure which side you would need to throttle down, as I don't know what your system looks like. You can install 2 valves if you're not sure.

Ask a Question