little shower bio filter.

Reaction score
not sure if it is or not but it has 300 gph going through it. this is a very simple design that could be made longer if needed. I filled the bottom with bioballs and put in bags of ceramic bio material. that material is out of the water.
D6919AA2-orig.jpg

D085F85B-orig.jpg

3B7B0AF3-orig.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Neat idea for a small pond, looks like it would work rather well. Got all that high tech look on a small pond. lol I see a bigger pond coming in the near future.:fish:

Reaction score
I would spend too much if I went larger. I don't have room for one. the back is so sloped it is hard to weed eat and the front is small and the soil so rocky you can't dig a foot down. plus being in a mobile home park the owners may not go for it.
another pond would have to be a larger box pond.

Reaction score
if you made this longer filled it with media and added a air stone or two you could have a damm good bio filter in a small amount of room. knowing me I may end up doing that. it would be a small shower and a very well aerated standard bio filter in one.
put a joint in there to keep the media out of the water then in the bottom part use the media that is neutral and a airstone and you would have a fluid meda bio filter and miniature shower.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Air STONE, JOINT, and a SHOWER, Steve you did attend woodstock didn't you! LOL:bouncycig:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good job steve! There are a lot with small ponds that could use something like that

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
LOL, I'm to young for woodstock, :regular_waving_emot

Not me. I couldn't afford to go. Just over a year out of the Army with a newborn and Apprentice wages.

Back to the topic, I actually built one of these, but I didn't hard plumb it, I used a gravity feed and one day I came home and half the tank was empty because the filter was blocked.
That is what inspired me to design the Doc Bio Filter.

Reaction score
so far the filter has now shown it needs cleaned in almost a month so it seems the right size for the pond. usualy when I use it to remove the water from the pond I pump the handles to keep it clean. but I want to see how long it goes before it needs cleaning so I have an idea.
I tired the doc filter in miniature but it just does nto scale down and it stood out like a sore thumb. so I broke down and bought the laguna. I spent way too much time screwing around making my own in this case. my designs could scale up a bit in a box pond but they would not be practical in a more traditional pond.
if the pump fails of the filter clogs nothing will happen thats whats nice about this design. only knocking the filter over could cause a problem so i think I will add a strap ot it.

Ask a Question