Lookin for goldfish population control

Reaction score
Country
United States
Surprised your greenfrogs bother. All of mine (lots and lots) literally ignore anything IN the water, including worms that fall next to them in an inch of water, but will swim out 5' to chase a worm that was tossed and landed on tall piece of grass, then jump up to snag it. They definitely seem to favor above-water stuff and near shore bugs/worms/slugs etc.. Or maybe the poor baby frog that forgets to play statue on a lily pad.... maybe it has to do with food availability?

Your fish..... use a net and catch. Run a craigslist ad and sell them to people wanting pond fish ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was never any good at beating around the bush. Its straight forward with both feet and lay it on the line .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone actually confirm their frogs actively attack fish by swimming after them? What I've seen with green frogs, is they are ambushers that use a sit and wait strategy and believe bull frogs are the same? At night, my local greens would hop around the pond's perimeter, looking for insects from what I could tell. During the day, anything IN the water they ignored unless it was on the surface or bounced on a lily pad they were hiding under. I have MANY minnows now and those get ignored (one swam too close to a green frog and it actually fled from the minnow despite being an adult frog)

I've seen many comments about frogs eating things, but have yet to see any actually chase IN the water, so don't think they'd make a good in-water predator? They will chase or make an effort out of the water including jumping up to get worms tossed in high grasses. But I've tossed worms at frogs in 1-2" of water where they were sitting, and they always struggle as they can't strike it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only thing I have seen eating my fish, was the northern water snakes (3) that moved in then poof were gone. And the heron. Never seen a frog with fish in its mouth.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thought as much. Guessing bullfrogs get the majority of their living food from poor, hapless creatures plopping down next to them on the shore or pads, then it's lights out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thought as much. Guessing bullfrogs get the majority of their living food from poor, hapless creatures plopping down next to them on the shore or pads, then it's lights out.
I'm not so sure that's accurate. Before I ever saw the bullfrog in my pond I knew I had a predator because within 3 days time all my toad tadpoles disappeared from my pond. Many many of which were much to large to fit into my goldfishes mouth's. I dunno how you clear out 75 or more tadpoles from a pond in 3 days time if you are just an opportunistic predator. I've also seen her swim and let me tell you she's far faster then either of my shubunkins at their top speed. I've never seen my frog catch and eat anything and she's quite comfortable in my presence now. Yet obviously she's eating well because she's more then doubled in size in the 3 months since she arrived. I think you are far under estimating our webbed friends as hunters.

Ask a Question