Looking for a pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Newbie here looking for an out of the pond pump.
I have a fellow helping me to enlarge my present pond. He told me to go on ebay and get a pump. There seems to be many to choose from and I am sure that there may be better places.
We will have 2 bottom drains and a skimmer.
Here is what he told me to get.
1 1/2 hp, about 3500 gph, 2" discharge, 110 volt.
And of course some things that I think it should have! LOL Variable speed, overheating protection, long lasting, a good value, and be energy efficient.
He said that I may be able to put it on a timer and not run it all day, as I have another submersible pump at the other end. I would be concerned about freezing issues if I did that. That is why I thought that variable speed could run slow and all day and night in the winter.
Thanks in advance for the help.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought 2 lagunas for energy efficiency .I prefer 2 pumps one goes out you always have another one in the pond and they both came with a 4 year warranty

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Addy has external pumps but I really think most on here have inside the pond pumps .Less of a hassle come winter .Plus in the winter a inside the pond pump helps keep an opening in the ice or an aerator

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think that right now it is south of 2000 gallons. The new section will be MUCH deeper and add maybe a couple of thousand gallons. Right now I have an Alita AUP250 which pumps around 4200 gph. The pond has always been crystal clear with no problems. It is about 11 years old.
His plan is to put in 2 bottom drains and a skimmer box in the new section, all feeding into a barrel with filter material. There will be a discharge pipe in the water. I have all of the noise that I need.
The pond now has no bottom drains. The skimmer is on the right side and feeds into the upper pond.
Here are some photos of the existing pond and the addition:
rs.jpg

ls.jpg

nh.jpg

rm.jpg

rear.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
glad you are not starting over because it can be hard .My old pond water was crystal clear and did not need a lot of care then moles chewed through my liner last year and starting over sure is not easy .Now I really know what new ponders go through .At least now I can see the bottom as the filters are starting to work after adding bacteria a few times

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Are you going to pull a complete new liner or attempt to seam in a section for the expansion basin?

Not sure that an external pump would meet the requirements (seasonal) that you want. Am not aware of any variable speed submersible pumps with that flow rate.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure that an external pump would meet the requirements (seasonal) that you want
Tend to agree, a power out for any length of time and it will freeze up. That is the reason I pull mine, put my pond to sleep for the winter. It does fine not running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I couldn't stop my pump. The pond would freeze over and the fish would die. This pond has had water flowing nonstop for 11 years. The external pump is an extra pump to make up for the additional water volume.
I am going to attach the new liner to this old liner.
Does anyone use an external pump?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The pond would freeze over and the fish would die

Well, actually the pond CAN freeze over and the fish won't die. But you do need to have a way to keep a hole open in your ice - a deicer or some form of water movement is generally what people do - otherwise they WILL die. Just thought I'd throw that in there! In our case, we keep our waterfall running, but the pond is completely covered with ice, as are the falls. The water keeps flowing under the "ice cap" all winter long.

Beautiful pond, by the way!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I couldn't stop my pump. The pond would freeze over and the fish would die. This pond has had water flowing nonstop for 11 years. The external pump is an extra pump to make up for the additional water volume.
I am going to attach the new liner to this old liner.
Does anyone use an external pump?
Thanks.

Have you or the gentleman helping you had any previous experience seaming liner? If not, I would certainly advise against it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Decided on the Lifeguard Aquatics Sea Horse by Pentair. 3960 gph.

Have liners seamed and running the old pump. Been running for 2 days, no leaks, water is clearing up, and the fish are LOVING it.

Getting ready to install the new pump at the other end. Pulls from 2 bottom drains and a skimmer.

pond5.jpg

Ask a Question