Looking for help with filtration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you compost it, start by making a big box or bin, line it with weed barrier fabric, fill it, add enzymes, leaves, grass clippings, and later on once it’s a bit broke down, add worms. Give it a stir every once in a while, turning the top layer under. Then give it a full year to break down. Adding in other comlostables like plant matters, tea leaves, coffee grounds, and egg shells means it will be richer once it’s done. After it’s all broke down, it will be great for gardens. I’ve got a compost bin, I used a big trash can, but I need to move it to something I can stir better. We tossed in worms we caught after a rain, and when I got into it this fall, we had tons of baby worms.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further update for all you helpful people out there.

The filter is working well with twice-weekly cleaning, and plans for a more permanent replacement with removable filters are beginning to firm up. We only have a few more rushes to remove to get at the weed growing round their bases and we will then leave the pond to nature for the summer. We are aware, however, that we are going to need to do something like this every January (albeit on a much smaller scale, hopefully) as we are resolved not to let it get anywhere near as overgrown as it was this year.

One "corner" of the upper lake has an area known locally as the beach, where the builders 30 years ago did not excavate enough soil for the water to reach the edge. We have decided to compost the removed weed here as it will be less of an eyesore than black plastic-covered heaps scattered around the site. Boxing is not really practicable for about 40 cubic yards of material, so we are just going to pile it up in that area, scatter compost formula on it, cover it with black plastic and hope that not too much material escapes into the lake before it dies. We are willing to accept a small amount of escape as we believe we will never totally eliminate the weed and are prepared for annual clearance operations. The composting material will hopefully shrink and compress and in the fullness of time raise the level of the beach. If we find we have a big problem by the end of the year then we'll have to come up with a new strategy for next year's weed.

I'll post some pictures of the permanent filter once it is constructed.

Jim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks like you have it under control, Jim; good on you. I think you're right and only a routine maintenance will keep the water and area as you like it. Hopefully those that enjoy the pond will continue to pitch in and man up when it comes time for the labor.

I'd see if I could make any filter large enough to cut your cleaning rate in half or better, once a month. Unless cleaning it now is like a few minutes type deal, then why bother. You'll still need the commitment for this chore and hopefully you have this as well. You may find there's some natural predator that would eat the weed, but be careful you don't introduce another form of problem. I WISH we had something like this for our cattail issues. Just this winter, we finally had a schedule/labor team/thick enough ice to cut down all our cattail kills from last autumn. Should look a lot better this spring/summer.

Anyway, thanks for the update and as most will tell you (here), we LOVE pics! So hope to see some as you get into the growing season. You can post in 'What Does Your Pond Look Like Today' thread in Garden Pictures.

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Ask a Question