Looking for info on the cleaning ability of plants

Reaction score
I am taking a water class in college and we are doing a project on a lagoon used to capture rain run off and are looking at using a floating island with plants on it to help clean the water. What I cannot find is what plants clean the best and at what rate. We are trying to figure out how many plants we need and what plants. Definitely do not want a high maintenance lagoon or invasive species.

Thank you

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use water hyssop in my Floating Island. I also have it in my stream between ponds. It does very well. I don't know how to quantify that in terms of it's relationship to other plants. It along with water lettuce keep my ponds very clear.
Please share your research with us!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
water hiacynths are also quite effective at nutrient removal and reproduce readilly. but wont survive colder winters.

Reaction score
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I live in Eugene Oregon.

DrDave looked at your video and all I can say is wow, what a great place you have.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
travis said:
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I live in Eugene Oregon.

DrDave looked at your video and all I can say is wow, what a great place you have.

Thank you Travis!
It is a work in progress. Every year, it gets better. Landscaping is what makes it look more natural.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Travis,

Have you considered 'Parrot Feather'? It grows fast, is quite intrusive in a controled enviroment, and many people use it in their boi-filter because of it's ability to purify the water. It is also quite hardy and will servive harsh winters.

Happy ponding,

Rich:fish:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Rich is right! Parrots feather is a good addition to any pond. I keep mine in the pond itself but allow the growth to garnish the edges. That way I control it from becoming a weed outside. Hyssop also grows well. It will choke out Parrots Feather if grown together. I have since seperated mine.

Ask a Question