Looking for tips

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
hello, my name is James and I live in the metro Atlanta area. I recently purchased a home that has a small garden/koi pond installed in the front yard. I am familiar with keeping aquariums but I have very little knowledge of garden ponds. I found this forum and I was hoping someone could put me in the right direction. The skimmer has a pump down in the bottom of it and there is nothing to keep large or small debris from getting sucked into pump. Where the outflow is, there is a box that spills over some rocks into the pond and there is nothing but mud in the box. Can anyone help me figure out the best option for filtering both the inflow and outflow? I have attached pictures. Thank you for reading!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That appears to be an Aquascape skimmer. Somewhere along the way the interior components were obviously removed, Replacement parts are available on-line. You will first need to determine which size skimmer this is. Measure both the length and width across the top of the skimmer. It is likely a classic standard skimmer. You will need a Debris net; a Filter Rack, and a filter pad. These can be purchased at the following link or at most any on-line outlet for Aquascape products.
http://store.aquascapeinc.com/c/pond-filtration_skimmers_replacement-parts
The Waterfall 'box' appears to be the shell of an Aquascape standard Biofalls filter. You will need: a standard filter rack, 2/ standard filter pads and 2 or 3 Biofalls media bags. These can also be purchased through Aquascape or other on-line outlets. These items can be found at this link-
http://store.aquascapeinc.com/c/pond-filtration_biofalls_replacement-parts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meyer, i appreciate your help very much! Could you tell me how I should arrange the filter pads and media in the bio falls box?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Quite simple. The filter rack should be placed first at the bottom of the biofalls shell. On top of this place both filter pads (stacked) and then on top of the filter pads place the bags of filter media. When placing the media bags, try to spread them out to cover the entire surface of the top filter pad. You want the water to flow through the filter media bags, not around them. And that's it. You are done. The bio-filter is now ready. If the skimmer has been completed the water flow can be initiated

adam9280

This is where the fish lives.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just commenting to say that's a pretty pond. I'd like to increase mine to that size. I would probably take out the big rock in the middle to give the water lilies some space. But it does make it look natural so either way :) looking forward to seeing updates on it.

Ask a Question