Losing water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I feel your almost pain
After installing all the boulders the last couple of days often as a one man band I decided to do a test and fill the pond with some water to check for leaks while I still have to equipment to lift them. A low and behold WATER drop I was loosing an inch of water in about 20 minutes. " SPLENDID " well I let the water drain and started brain storming what it might be. What boulders gave me grief and that may have not gone so well. My first suspect was the main drain. Though not part of the boulder install it would be the easiest to repair. Wishful thinking ! So it didn't take to long for my second suspect to show it's self and that is my fish cave. I had decided that I would not use a pipe for the cave but actually dig into the earth a cave and cap it with stone and line the walls. Well two of the walls were a little taller then I liked but I let it go thinking that they were both about three feet long and plenty of surface area that it couldn't possibly cut the liner. Well a few hours latter guess where the drain" leak " seems to have stopped just as the water level got below the fish cave. "THANK YOU " Second easiest place to fix. Not that it's nice and neat in the cave as it's not there's folds on top of folds with the liner. Well that's what I am hoping is the problem if it is coming from somewhere else it's not going to be fun fun trying to find it, We will see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
After installing all the boulders the last couple of days often as a one man band I decided to do a test and fill the pond with some water to check for leaks while I still have to equipment to lift them. A low and behold WATER drop I was loosing an inch of water in about 20 minutes. " SPLENDID " well I let the water drain and started brain storming what it might be. What boulders gave me grief and that may have not gone so well. My first suspect was the main drain. Though not part of the boulder install it would be the easiest to repair. Wishful thinking ! So it didn't take to long for my second suspect to show it's self and that is my fish cave. I had decided that I would not use a pipe for the cave but actually dig into the earth a cave and cap it with stone and line the walls. Well two of the walls were a little taller then I liked but I let it go thinking that they were both about three feet long and plenty of surface area that it couldn't possibly cut the liner. Well a few hours latter guess where the drain" leak " seems to have stopped just as the water level got below the fish cave. "THANK YOU " Second easiest place to fix. Not that it's nice and neat in the cave as it's not there's folds on top of folds with the liner. Well that's what I am hoping is the problem if it is coming from somewhere else it's not going to be fun fun trying to find it, We will see.

So frustrating!!! I went out this morning and zero water loss! Turned back on the filter and waterfall even though I know I'll lose an inch today. Hubby can fix when he gets home from his trip Tomorrow:) I hope yours turns out to be an "easy" fix!!!

Ask a Question