Lost my biggest Koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well I went out and seen my big Koi floating and all the others hiding. Must have been a Heron or Raccoon. The fish looked great except a puncture near the neck/head area. It was the first Koi that went in the new pond. If happened on my birthday too, not the best gift.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Is this the big koi that is orange, with black? I always admire it when I see videos of your pond. I'm sorry for your loss and especially that it happened on your birthday. Koi get big and their bright colors make them an easy target :(

I hope the rest of your birthday was much better !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That'srough sorry to hear. i am waiting on a similar day at mine as i don't have any real deterants set up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is this the big koi that is orange, with black? I always admire it when I see videos of your pond. I'm sorry for your loss and especially that it happened on your birthday. Koi get big and their bright colors make them an easy target :(

I hope the rest of your birthday was much better !
It was the all orange one. I believe the black and orange is okay, I only seen a glimpse as they are still hiding. I am not even sure if someone else is gone yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That'srough sorry to hear. i am waiting on a similar day at mine as i don't have any real deterants set up.
I do not have deterrents either except the dogs, I am sure they help a bit. BTW your pond is looking very nice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I hate predators.

I get that, too, but like @RobAmy said they're just doing what they were born to do. I am currently in a battle with chipmunks over my tomatoes - bet you didn't know tomatoes had predators! I thought we had agreed that he could have all the small ones on the bottoms but the nice big ones too high up for him to reach were mine... the treaty was breached. One of us is a bad promise keeper!

Happy birthday by the way Rob - this is one you won't forget, that's for sure.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would love to leave my pond uncovered, by forgetting to cover the hot tub pond in February when I left to help deal with deceased tenant issues I lost every fish (12 fan tails) and around 6-10 shubunkins in the 1000 gallon tank, one was around 12 inches, that net had a hole.

The herons fly over every day, wish they only came once in a while..............
In six years the Heron has visited twice, so not all that bad but it does not end well.

Sorry you loss the koi Rob.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for your loss. I've lost a few to raccoons I keep it covered with the black net so that they're protected year round. Surprised how you don't even notice that the black net is there conspicuously hidden amongst the rocks. No more fish Loss

Ask a Question