Lotus Help!

Reaction score
abby1: You found one floating in your pond?! That's amazing.... 10 years ago I had a large pond and my lilies jumped out of their pots twice! I didn't know Lotus did that too....

Interesting...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ermasdaughter said:
Lotusfreak: Well, maybe it's because I'm a newbie although my "tuber" lotus is definitely looking the worse for wear... I'll post a pick. I'd be shocked it that girlie aint on her way out.... The plant I started from seed seems to be fine.

Thanks though... I'll post pix of the ailing plant again and would love to know what you think...

I just recieved some seeds from a fellow member, any suggestions you can give on starting with seeds?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A customer brought me 3 seeds and after 5 days in water still no action. He told me they had about a 33% success on others.

Reaction score
Sure! I used two sites for advice: http://www.victoria-adventure.org/lotus/growing_from_seed.html

And: http://www.victoria-adventure.org/lotus/lotus_babs_growing_guidelines.html

Both are great for different reasons. FYI I chose to go with using the "file" method on the side of the seed (as opposed to filing the "dimpled" end - this will make sense when you read the sites) to pierce the hard outer skin. The later site advocates filing the dimpled end. Of the 4 seeds I tried the two that I filed the dimpled end did not sprout. Filing the side worked best for me....

Hope that helps... :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
It can take a while - especially if you don't pierce the skin enough. It's tricky because if you go too deep you kill the seed. I stopped filing the moment I saw a hint of white below the brown surface and it took about 4 days to sprout.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Maybe I messed up. The site I looked at said the dimpled end is the best. I guess I'll give it a few more days and see.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Maybe I messed up. The site I looked at said the dimpled end is the best. I guess I'll give it a few more days and see.

Hi DrDave: I don't know if you messed up.... It just didn't work for me - and one of the sites I recommended clearly states that her preference is filing the dimpled end - so that works well for her.

I, however, found that filing the side yielded better results.

Also, are you keeping them warm enough? That's really key. They don't "wake up" without the heat.

If you want to try your hand at some more seeds I bought some of m y seeds from this store: http://www.onedollarseedstore.com/Flower.htm

Hope that helps!

Michelle

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have kept them on the kitchen counter. I imagine the temperature is pretty constant at 70 degrees F. Is it supposed to be warmer?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ermasdaughter said:
abby1: You found one floating in your pond?! That's amazing.... 10 years ago I had a large pond and my lilies jumped out of their pots twice! I didn't know Lotus did that too....

Interesting...

It jumped out of the pot, had roots anchoring it via a stem into a lily pot. But it tuber was right below water line just floating, With long flowing roots. Other nodes on the stem had roots growing out into the water.

Will see what happens to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey guys, I know it's been a long time since I posted, but I am needing your help. My lotus that I have in an open weave pot in my pond has jumped the over the edge of the pot. I have lotus growing in my rubber lined pond. I am thinking this is not good for the liner. Am I correct? Should I be pulling the jumper lotus out of the pond. I a a little worried it pierces the liner.

I divided the one older lotus last year to make four pots. I put one in my pond and the rest around the pond in their own pots. Bloomed for the first time last year. Am looking forward to blooms this year.

Thanks for any help.

Sandi
Cajunmeme

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had one jump its pot, the roots are not tough enough to penetrate the liner, they will just wander along the bottom or into another pot.

Ask a Question