Lotus care again!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I’m new to the forum. And now I’m alittle freaked out . Today I bought a $70.00 lotus plant , and a new larger tub.
I repotted it right away . And noticed a lot of new leafs under water coming up . So I instinctively cut off about five ugly leafs. ( the nursery did not tell me not to cut off below water level. ) so did I just kill this plant? Do they always die ? Omg . Say it ain’t so!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi Kelly and welcome! I'm guessing you cut the leaves below water level? Is the lotus in a pond? If you can keep the cut stems above water level the plant may have a chance. The leaf stems are hollow and when cut, water gets inside the tuber and it can start to rot. Don't give up on it! I would keep the pot out of deep water with just enough to cover the soil.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Raise the plant up like said above, you might be ok, plants can be tough.

Welcome to our group

Pruning

When pruning or trimming, never cut flower or leaf stems below the water level, as roots and tubers use stems (even dead ones) to help provide oxygen. When lowering lotus for winter, prune after lowering.

Lotus Care
Established lotus require minimum care. Remove dead leaves only after they are totally brown. Cutting a green leaf below the water line may result in water flowing down the stem into the tuber and killing your plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I’m new to the forum. And now I’m alittle freaked out . Today I bought a $70.00 lotus plant , and a new larger tub.
I repotted it right away . And noticed a lot of new leafs under water coming up . So I instinctively cut off about five ugly leafs. ( the nursery did not tell me not to cut off below water level. ) so did I just kill this plant? Do they always die ? Omg . Say it ain’t so!
Thanks
The lotus is in a big pot on my deck. It looks as if they sealed themselves? Is that possible? It looks like the ends I cut have a white-ish seal. I really cut them to the quick. All the way down . So lowering the water level would be , detrimental? There

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry..there may be more than a couple tubers? And do they always die, or sometimes? I will never do that again.aslo can I put fish in the pot? With fertilizer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sad to say that cutting the lotus stems below the water does generally lead to the tuber rotting. But as you said, maybe there is more than one tuber and you haven't affected the whole plant. We all learn as we go, and sometimes we make expensive mistakes! Hopefully this one will just be a tiny one for you!

We've always put fish in with our lotuses when they are in big enough pots. The fertilizer doesn't bother them, and they add fertilizer of their own! Just make sure there's enough water and shade that they won't boil in there if it gets too hot.

Ask a Question