Lotus leaves turning yellow/ full of bites

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hello everyone! I'm new here so I'm so sorry if I'm doing something wrong >o< nice to meet you all

I'm having a problem with my lotus plants, they are full of bite marks and turning yellow, I have this problem since day 1 of growing them from seeds, it's been 3/4 weeks now, at the beginning it was only bite marks now some are turning yellow, brown, one has even a red spot on it and I have no clue what's going on.
I read some posts in this forum but my case seems different and I can't find anything about it
I thought it might be insects but the only ones I find close to my lotus are butterflies and tiny spiders, I check under the leaves and change the water regularly.
Also should I cut off these dying leaves? or let nature do it's thing

Attachments

• IMG_20220208_184322697_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220208_184322697_HDR.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220208_184308898_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220208_184308898_HDR.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 26

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1644361490262.gif
@Nanah
Sorry I don't know about lotus but others here do and will let ya know soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wouldn't cut off the leaves. The stems of lotus are hollow and should only be cut above the water line. If cut below the water, water will get into the stem and can rot the tuber.
(This frustrates me to no end because I always want to get rid of the unsightly leaves. I just have to wait for them to fall off.)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello @Nanah - hopefully I can help with this. What type of soil do you have the seeds planted in? Are you using any fertilizer?
Do not cut off the leaves, as @bagsmom stated, it will drown the plant. The plants do not look in too bad of condition. The damaged leaves are just the older ones and new leaves are quickly replaced by new ones.
Are the containers square? Lotus need to be in round containers, the roots don't like corners! Yours should be ok for now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello @Nanah - hopefully I can help with this. What type of soil do you have the seeds planted in? Are you using any fertilizer?
Do not cut off the leaves, as @bagsmom stated, it will drown the plant. The plants do not look in too bad of condition. The damaged leaves are just the older ones and new leaves are quickly replaced by new ones.
Are the containers square? Lotus need to be in round containers, the roots don't like corners! Yours should be ok for now.
so, what I'M hearin' is; don't be a square! Lotus are hipsters, I guess...

I didn't think those lotus looked too bad, but needed the cavalry to support my guess! Thanks for flying in for the rescue, SuperLotusGirl!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forum.

Are the Lotus nucifera seedlings shown in the OP, deciduous or evergreen types?

Ask a Question