Lotus slow to develop & Algae issues

Reaction score
Country
United States
By this time last year, my lotus already had several aerial leaves and this year I still only have floating leaves with no stems poking up above the surface. Is anyone else’s lotus behind this year?

Also I’ve been having issues with algae growth in the water. It clings to the edges and underside of the leaves, causing it to slowly yellow. Any tips or safe solutions for this? Thank you!

472EBC62-9FAE-49F5-A376-80ED135892E3.jpeg
AD5DC0D8-0511-4E44-8CEE-8E2EB48C965D.jpeg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is that just one lotus? Lots of leaves. The water may be getting too hot. A deeper container may do better. If you can find a larger , deeper pot and just put that whole potted one in it that may help. My new tubers are just now sending up aerial leaves while my established one has already bloomed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is that just one lotus? Lots of leaves. The water may be getting too hot. A deeper container may do better. If you can find a larger , deeper pot and just put that whole potted one in it that may help. My new tubers are just now sending up aerial leaves while my established one has already bloomed.
Yea it’s a small tuber with 2-3 growing tips that I split off from last year’s lotus. I can pot it much deeper in this pot but it’s a dwarf lotus and some leaves were already struggling to reach the surface so I was afraid to place it any deeper

Ask a Question