j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can take some netting and throw it over your pond when the leaves start to fall and then take it off when done. Might save you some work scooping them all out :frown:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh lowes and home depot sell bird netting at 7 dollars for a 12x14 it's the same as pond netting but a heck of a lot cheaper .You mean that pond is really that new .I would never have guessed that

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
use some pvc to make a little frame to put the netting over, if the net is just stretched over the it the leaves might sink the net as it sags into the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very good point addy....will end up being a big tea bag if it sags :lol:

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I love the boat, I almost thought about doing something like that with a canoe, but then I decided I wasnt ready to hang the canoe out to pasture (or pond) yet.

Little off topic, but the subject of the Cannas came up, and I just noticed something last night. If you've seen my pictures, I planted 3 cannas in the small strip between my pond and the fence, and only two came up, so I ended up planting a forth, and its just coming up now.

But I was sitting next to the pond in my swing last night, and I just happened to catch a glance of purple/red through the crack in the fence.... and I think my canna that never came up grew about 2 feet sideways and the came up!!! Is that possible? Would it grow that far over before coming up? I walked over and glanced in the nieghbors yard and there is just that one, I highly doubt she just planted one canna right there in her yard.

I got a kick out of that, I wondered why that thing never came up, and the other two grew so well, they are at the top of the 6 foot fence already, and that one just disapeared, well apparently I must have planted the bulb sideways and it took a trip to the neighbors yard. She must like it, she hasnt hacked it down or run it over with the lawnmower yet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had them do that they grow around in in the ground .I planted mine and had put landscape fabric down and 1 canna came up 2 feet over growing through a hole in the landscape fabric .In the fall I checked the bulb out and I guess after I planted it I must have stepped there and the bulb turned side ways a little and just came up where it could find an opening .After 3 years I had to devide them last fall after they died back and ended up with 86 bulbs from only the 10 I started with

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are zone 6b or so, they call them annuals here, not sure what zone sissy is but it seems that hers survive.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
zone 7 .But I had them in NJ just had to protect them heavily with mulch .I had black and green elephant ears there to .Just had to protect the bulbs or dig them up every year,I depends on how much work you want to put into them I used to put black plastic garbage bags over them after the frost killed the tops and mulch or grass clippings and before they started to grow again I would pull the black plastic bag off so they would not smother and rot the bulbs .Here they just come back no matter what you do .But in NJ found the red flower ones seemed to be hardier than the yellow ones .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was just wandering b/c I have some gladiolus that are annuals here, I left them in the ground the second year by accident and they came back. I no longer dig them up and every year they come back, they just started blooming.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I'm in zone 4b..gotta dig mine up and throw them in the basement. Thast why I only planted 3 (well actually 4 now) of them, I dont want to make too much work for myself. I've been very picky choosing plants around my pond, I want everything to keep coming back so I dont have to work so hard every spring.

I liek those elephant ears though, i've considered buying one, but again, I keep stopping myself because I'd have to dig it up every year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you dig them up you can cut all the roots off and hose the bulbs off and then all you have to do is put the bulb in newspaper and a plastic bag for the winter .My cousin took some of mine and she lives up near Ohio and thats what she does ,except she uses a pressure washer with a low flow tip to clean the bulb off .The elephant ear bulb is actually called a potato no clue why but thats what they call them here in VA.End of season at walmart you can get them for 2 dollars

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm in zone 7 and my Canna made it for several yrs, then a couple yrs ago we had a really cold winter and it never showed it's face again. We've had 2 really cold parts of winter the last 2 yrs. If I got one again I'd either mulch and cover like sissy says or I'd remove it to my green house or garage or store it as a bulb. Banana plant comes back each yr tho :alieneyesa:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my cold hardy nana did not come back this year and I protected it too .Not sure what happened dug that area up and found nothing left at all

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have more elephant ears than I know what to do with, I gave away about 25, planted about 12 of them, and still have some in the basement yet. I just put them in the pond and planted only 2 in dirt this year.

Ask a Question