Maintaining Water Level

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
This subject has come up from time to time with many diverse solutions and I have even piped in mentioning a device that I built from scrap parts that I had around. When I originally built it I was remiss not to have taken pictures, so when I finally did a maintenance / cleaning I took the opportunity to do so.

It is made from a nursery pot, a toilet tank filler, a few adapters and fittings, and a length of 3/8" clear plastic tubing. Additionally, my water supply is from my irrigation well so the water is all natural and untreated.

It is covered with a piece of pond liner underlayment which, over time, has picked up some mossy growth which helps obscure it. You can also see the "telltale spout which is upturned and lets me know when the filler is active.

A single screw holds it at a predetermined level.

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 85

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
INteresting soulution, and love how it looks like it comes out of a rock!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
It looks like a rock but it's just that piece of liner cushion that has over time, picked up a mossy growth covering it.
Wow! I was sure that was like a fake rock or something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Very creative!
It's funny, I just rebuilt a leaky toilet tank and threw out a Fluid Master tank valve. The Fluid Master was probably OK. The tank was leaking from a mounting bolt. I just wanted all new.

In the past I probably would have saved it, but I'm trying to cut down on junk collecting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
Very creative!
It's funny, I just rebuilt a leaky toilet tank and threw out a Fluid Master tank valve. The Fluid Master was probably OK. The tank was leaking from a mounting bolt. I just wanted all new.

In the past I probably would have saved it, but I'm trying to cut down on junk collecting!
On the bright side, a new one only costs $8...so not a big investment. I think I only spent about $20 for the fittings and tubing at Home Depot.

Ask a Question