Marginals that can tolerate being near a waterfall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Good evening,

My pickerel rush nearest the waterfall is looking like it's about to kick the bucket, all of the leaves have started rotting off. I assume this is probably due to splashing and/or current, since the others a bit further away look fine. Any recommendations for something more on the compact side that will grow at least 10 inches tall (for cosmetic reasons) and can handle splashing and current? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have water willow that has just decided to creep along the shelf below the waterfall and grow there. It seems to be doing well!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Water celery loves the splashing, but it is a creeper, so you have to watch it. I have a cluster of it that's just under a foot tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I always plant Parrot's Feather in the middle, immediately before the opening of my spillway between the bog and pond.

I like the way it flows over the spillway with the water. It also grows up and onto the rocks.

I have a little bit of exposed liner there and the Parrot's Feather helps hide that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm not familiar with water willow, will look into it, and water celery sounds like a nice idea. I haven't wanted to plant parrot feather since i live near a creek that feeds an estuary and it's quite an invasive, but I noticed this the other day in another part of the creek system - this is parrot feather, no? So if it's already present in large amounts as an invasive, probably no reason to stress about it?

Attachments

• IMG_7131 2.jpg
    IMG_7131 2.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It looks similar, but appears too wispy. The parrots feather I'm familiar with has more substantial leaves and stems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Thank you all. I looked it up and apparently there are about 70 species of water milfoil, so who knows. In any case, will continue abstaining from the Parrot's feather variety.

Ask a Question